1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all...HLTA's teaching!!! surely this isn't allowed?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tweetypi88, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hi there all,
    at the school where my sister teaches, there is a HLTA who has been working one-to-one with a little boy who is now leaving. She hasn't been there long at all, and there will be no job for her there now that this boy has moved school. However the headteacher is planning on offering her a two day a week teaching contract, teaching years 3-6! Surely this is not allowed is it? It makes me so angry that teachers like myself are out of work because unqualified people are taking our jobs!!!!!

2. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Yep, tweety on the 27th July 2012, the day of the opening ceremony of the Olympics the government announced academies were now able to do this i.e. get unqualified teachers to teach whole classes long term.
    Here's the epetition David Clarke wrote on it
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/12405
    There's posts on this on Opinion and Unemployed forums. Have a read.
    This move should mean less jobs for the 50,000 unemployed teachers as HTLAs, TAs, CSs, LSAs will be able to teach classes for longer than 3 days. Probably going to affect supply teaching as well.
    The truth is, it has been going on for years but it was not official. It's supposed to be only applicable to academies but LA maintained schools are going to do it as well, I mean LAs don't have much power these days do they?
    These unqualified teachers will of course be cheaper than qualified ones with QTS and paid probably at TAs rate.
    And loads of unemployed teachers with QTS are applying for jobs as HTLAs, TAs, CSs and LSAs and getting paid those rates and working as qualfied teachers with QTS.