1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all, head or heart?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ladykaza, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dear Theo and all wise sages,

I'm back in the job market and finding it just as hard as you guys out there.

I visited a school today which, in an endeavour to beat the resignation deadline, has an extremely short timetable for shortlisting, observation and interview. Because of this I spent the weekend on my application as the job looked great.

The head was lovely and the job interesting but I came away with a feeling of disquiet, I'm just not sure if it's the right place for me. For discretion's sake I don't want to go into details about why.

I handed in my application, in hindsight the big White envelope I was carrying was a bit obvious, but now I'm having second thoughts , hence why I'm still up at this ridiculous hour!

So this is the question...... Would I be mad to turn down an interview, if I'm offered one, in this job market? Should I politely withdraw before the shortlisting date or wait and see? Head says keep going, heart says withdraw....

All advice gratefully received.

2. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

I'd say go on the interview if you get one. You went to a lot of trouble at the weekend and you could see it as interview practice. Then you will be better prepared when an interview for a job you really want comes up.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I think Thompson has a point there - interview practice for free is always good. There is also the possibility that you may change your mind (or your heart!) when you go back, and get a different, more positive, feel. Or that you get a reinforced negative one, in which case you will have a very solid base on which to decide to withdraw at that stage, or decline if they offer.
    After half term more jobs will come along, but not that many, so you also want to weigh up the consequences for you of having no job - listen to your head too!
    But this may be your job, or another may come soon.
    Looking forward to that new thread: Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with Theo, on another visit you may get a different 'feel' for the place.
    You liked the sound of the post and whatever your 'concerns' were, they could possibly be altered by your being in the post.
    I would accept the offer of an interview and if after your second visit you still feel unsettled that would be he time to withdraw.
    Best of luck, whatever you decide.

5. I'd go, too. Hell, it's a morning/afternoon off work at the very least! [​IMG] Are you absolutely SURE you won't take the job, or are these just serious doubts? Because if it's the latter, you may find whatever's bugging you isn't as much of an issue as you think it is. And even if you're positive you don't want to work there, like others have said, the interview practise is definitely always good. x

6. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Thank you all for your wise words. I do actually have a job, this is a promotion opportunity. I decided to phone and speak to the head again, I actually ended up visiting again. After this I decided to withdraw. There may come a time when I regret the decision, especially if it continues to be so difficult to be shortlisted, but for now I'm convinced it's the right decision for both me and the school. Thank you all again.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Very best of wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching job seminars - see you there!