1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all, have some random questions- but they are sensible ones!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Apr 13, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hello. Hope you are all well and have had a lovely Easter [​IMG].
    Here are my questions for today [​IMG]!
    1. Whilst applying for a job the other day I had to put the full name and address o the place I did my PGCE. I have been calling it what it weas called then. It seems though to have changed names! I hadn't realised this. Do I keep it in my forms as it was when I was there, or put the new name?
    2. How many days in the year if you are lucky enough to have an interview are you allowed go to one? Or does this depend on the head/supply agency? My class are quite naughty, and they struggle to get supply teachers for the whole day - they left at break time the last time I had an interview [:S, so no sure how often I would be allowed to go! Would be nice if I only had to go once [​IMG]!
    3. I can't really go to and visit a school because of the above, and am also applying to some different areas, which is also not possible. I know you're supposed to go to get the feel of the school or look at the webiste, OFSTED report, but I honestly don't think you can get a 'true' feeling of a school unless you have been working/doing suply there. Am I the only one who thinks this? Sorry this is an opinion question, and not a question question!!
    4. I managed to send one of my applications in quite early. I had a email from them saying that I had sent it to them by skydrive (that was clever of me - I don't even know what skydrive is[​IMG]!!), and that they couldn't open it, so could I send it as a word attachment which I think I have now done. They are obviously reading some applications. I have handed it in almost two weeks earlier than the deadline. I don't leave everything until the night beofre, but sometimes hand my applications in not until a day or two before the closing deadline depending on how busy I am at school. Should I make sure that my applications are in quite early incase they don't bother looking at the other ones?
    Ooops - Didn't mean to write SO much waffle - sorry[​IMG]! There are some questions within the waffle though, and I am trying to cut down on the smileys!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Welcome back.
    1. Could you say XXXXXXXX (formerly known as XXXX), so you cover both bases? Could add the dates to clarify?
    2. No idea on this. I can't believe a supply would be so unprofessional as to leave at breaktime! (If I lived nearer I'd do it)
    3 Theo has opinions on this andI too believe this is unfair. (On the other hand an advert in my area today doesn't ask you to phone for an application but for a visit!)
    4 I've often wondered myself about this one. Especially when in the current times, knowing they're going to have lots of applications if they do start to 'weed out' earlier?
    Best of luck with them.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Either is fine, doesn't matter much. I would put the one that sounded better! So if it used to be called Grungy Technical College, but is now the University of Grungyshire, I'd put the latter.
    Q2 Depends entirely on the school, I'm afraid. It is customary to allow you to go on interviews, but not necessarily on visits, so I think that you are doing the right thing by the school by not visiting.
    And well done for coping with a class that makes a Supply teacher walk out! [*]
    Q3 Don't worry. Most secondary schools don't have visits at all, nor do most Indies, so it's no big deal really. Read this:
    School visits
    There are some good tips there.
    Q4 They shouldn't, to be fair to everyone, but if without stress you CAN get them in, then do.
    Yes!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.