1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - getting really panikcy!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, May 8, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Well it's May, and then only June and July left to try and get a job, and then I have to retire[​IMG]. Feel like I haven't had much time at all to apply to things, as have been so busy -sorry I know I shouldn't complain about this. Now 8.30 and still lots and lots to do, but must get applications in too. Arggh!
    Getting really panicky about any applications that I have to complete, and I don't know whether it's me- but they seem to be fading. Anyway have seen one - as well as all the other hundreds of applicants, and have some questions -again [​IMG]
    1. This school I'm applying for is asking for a CV and covering letter. Does this mean I put my References on the letter or at the end of the CV?
    2. There are two different jobs within the same school. Do I do apply for both at the same time, or give two separate applications?
    3. Not sure whether this is that important or not really. I SORT of play a couple of musical instruments, but only ever put down the two that I'm most confident with - altough just not confident anyway. Should I put them down or not?
    4. How do I make more time - yes I AM seriously asking this question[​IMG].
    4. Please could you look into your Crystal Ball, and tell me what is going to happento me in September?

2. welshchocoholic1

Well it's May, and then only June and July left to try and get a job, and then I have to retire[​IMG]. Feel like I haven't had much time at all to apply to things, as have been so busy -sorry I know I shouldn't complain about this. Now 8.30 and still lots and lots to do, but must get applications in too. Arggh!
    Getting really panicky about any applications that I have to complete, and I don't know whether it's me- but they seem to be fading. Anyway have seen one - as well as all the other hundreds of applicants, and have some questions -again [​IMG]
    1. This school I'm applying for is asking for a CV and covering letter. Does this mean I put my References on the letter or at the end of the CV?
    2. There are two different jobs within the same school. Do I do apply for both at the same time, or give two separate applications?
    3. Not sure whether this is that important or not really. I SORT of play a couple of musical instruments, but only ever put down the two that I'm most confident with - altough just not confident anyway. Should I put them down or not?
    4. How do I make more time - yes I AM seriously asking this question[​IMG].
    4. Please could you look into your Crystal Ball, and tell me what is going to happento me in September?

3. dizzymai

dizzymai New commenter

Now, first things first. Just remember- because you are supply you have the PICK of the jobs after May half term, which is looming for all of us in post. The competition will wane and it'll just be you and the NQTs and boy have you then got the edge- all of that lovely experience and they don't have to give you masses of PPA time.
    1) I would put your references on the form.
    2) How different are the jobs??! You are primary, right? I would use one application and make it fit both jobs? But it surely depends on how different- Theo will know!
    3) Say it like it is, you play two, one confidently- is there a music subject leadership role in it? The fact that you play any is impressive.
    4) Did the bank holiday not fit this brief???? You get time in the summer!!
    5) I predict that you will get a job. How can you not with all of your hard work and dedication? :)
    [​IMG]

4. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Don't panic, Welsh!
    Let me see, I'm a jobhunter myself, but I can try and answer some of your questions...
    1. If there's no form and just a CV and covering letter, I think you put them in your CV.
    2. No idea about this one!
    3. Definitely put down musical instruments. As a musician myself, I've found schools often like that in a teacher (although not this time round...yet!).
    4. Erm... Borrow Marty McFly's time machine?! I only have until May 31st so time is really running out for me!
    5. Sadly I dropped my crystal ball down the loo, so can't make any predictions set in stone. But I have an inkling both you and I will get ourselves a lovely job. [​IMG]
    Good luck and keep trying!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Now here's my go.
    Q1 At the end of the CV. http://www.teachers-uk.co.uk/candidates/welcome/cv/index.php
    Q2 Normally just write the job for the one that you prefer, but at the end write a small brief paragraph: I would also wish to be considered for the post of Lion Tamer for Year 3, as I have skills and experience that are transferable to this year group. [​IMG]
    Q3 Sort of, my foot! Say: I have the ability to play a range of instruments, including the piano for Assemblies and the recorder, and would be keen to encourage children to learn to play for fun
    Q4 Stop eating chocoloate. [​IMG]
    Q5
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well was waiting for Theo to reply, as he <u>is</u> the expert of course and you've pretty much had all the good advice.
    Good news that there are 2 jobs advertised. That must increase your chance of being invited for interview at one of them![​IMG] Remember you are <u>a good candidate </u>and have stuck at supply in a year group which most others quit after shorter time scales.
    Definitely mention the musical instruments, even if only the possibility of running a club- especially if it's an Indy or Academy, which I'm guessing it might be in view of asking for a CV.
    Time issue- you have to start to <u>make time</u> for yourself. Just like a timetable, you'll have to set aside time in your personal timetable, which will then pay dividends because you'll be more rested to tackle the other stuff more quickly and efficiently. [​IMG] (Well that's the theory!)
    Crystal Ball? Well 'only time will tell'!

7. welshchocoholic1

1. CV then
    2. I'll put it at the end that I want to be the Lion Tamer too then [​IMG]
    3. So say a range rather than what I play then [​IMG]?
    4. Erm, I mmay not have done any school work this bank holiday Dizzymai - I usually do[​IMG]?! Haven't you hear of multi tasking?
    5. Haha - Great I will be getting paid to come to school everyday, and do art in with 4 children[​IMG]
    Lara, don't laugh - I don't have time to do a time table. Sillow I hope you get a job soon too. Now soes anyone want to mark my books?

8. welshchocoholic1

Sorry, I completely forgot to say Thank You [​IMG].

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you certainly can list them all, but I thought you were being a bit shy here, so I suggested just saying the two.
    But go for it and list all 23 of them.
    [​IMG]
    And you are the best Lion Tamer in the whole school - remember how those other supply teachers walked out of the cage?
    Best wishes.

10. welshchocoholic1

Sorry, have only just seen this, just wanted to say thank you -AGAIN [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Haha - yeah right [​IMG]!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Here you are. A lady Lion Tamer.