1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: Executive Summary - where to put it?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 26, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If there is a space on the application form for Extra Information, you can often put the executive summary in there.
    If not, then you will write a two-page letter of application (or personal statement). I always suggest, as others have said, that you put your executive summary at the end of the letter or statement, as a separate page (but not page numbered - you don't want it to be page 3). This will ensure that it gets printed out, whereas a separate document entirely might not be.
    Make sure that your name is on the executive summary!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

Thanks Theo. I feel like I finally have this application malarkey sussed, and unless a particularly obscure form appears I can noe get on with it and send them off.
    One done today which I am really hopeful for. The downside is if I do get an interview I may finally have to get wheel bearing done on old car that will no way survive a 4 hour 30 minute drive. On the other hand, the trains are looking positive.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

4. Sorry to jump in but my question is similar to this ...

I am applying for an NQT pool which just requires me to submit an application form which includes a personal statement via e-mail. Should I include an ES? If so, where should I put it? I'm worried if it is meant to go into the form they might not like that I have added to the form myself without being asked. Should I put it in the main body of the e-mail? Also, should by e-mail which has forms attached be very wordy at all?

so many questions!

Thank you all xXx

5. I did paragraph that post, sorry its just all clumped together :(

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Beelliezebub, if you want an answer fromTheo, you'd do better to start a new thread as he's unlikely to reopen a thread he's already given an answer to. Although it's not impossible, and will probably prove me wrong shortly!
    Anyway for now try putting 'NQT pools' into the search engine and tick 'Jobseekers'only. I think this has cropped up a few times recently.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Next time, best to start a new thread with a new question, as I might not always re-visit old threads. There's a limit to how long Mrs TG lets me play on this Forum!
    Do they just say a personal statement on the form? Not separate? Is there a limit to how much you acn write?
    If no limit, then put the executive summary at the end of the statement. If there is a limit, then just put the personal statement, and attach the summary as an extra document. Make sure you have your name on it!
    No-one ever asks for an executive summary, so everyone here who says that they got an intewrview thanks to that, has sent it without being asked.
    Good gracious no! Putting things into the body of an e-mail is very messy - looks awful when printed out.
    No - just do it as a cover letter - something short and sweet like this:
    Dear Mr Griff
    Application for post of KS2 teacher at Greengates Primary
    I attach my completed application form, equal opportunities monitoring form and executive summary for the above post.
    Yours sincerely
    A N Other
    Google Chrome, plus anything Apple, does that!
    Put where you want a paragraph and it makes one.
    Best wishes