1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: College job interview tips

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by f.a.b, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Hi Theo and all
    I have read the interview tips in your main thread, however wanted to know if there are any other tips/advice specific for college interviews please?
    Also any key words to mention or certain topics/areas to talk about?
    There is no lesson to teach so I just want some insight in to what they are mainly looking for as I have always thought teaching interviews focussed mainly on the lesson, but it seems different at FE level.
    Many thanks.

2. Hi Theo and all
    I have read the interview tips in your main thread, however wanted to know if there are any other tips/advice specific for college interviews please?
    Also any key words to mention or certain topics/areas to talk about?
    There is no lesson to teach so I just want some insight in to what they are mainly looking for as I have always thought teaching interviews focussed mainly on the lesson, but it seems different at FE level.
    Many thanks.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If this query means that you have been shortlisted - then Well Done!
    Those that are in the job and person specification, or come out from their website. And have a dekko at the TES FE Focus section - you can look at back issues on line.
    They will want to talk about student success, which in FE has two aspects: retention (i.e. the students do not drop out) and exam success. So don't ignore the retention issue, how you will motivate and support students so that they are keen to continue; this is very important. I have been Vice Principal of a FE College, so I know!
    You may also, if teaching 16-18 year olds, like to consider the pastoral issue of sixth-formers in a less controlled atmosphere than a school.
    Good luck! We have a tradition here of starting a whole new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job! We look forward to yours!
    Best wishes