1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all: -Best tips for starting right

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by jomaimai, Dec 14, 2015.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I am starting in a new school in January and I would like any tips or advice you could give me.

What is that you do when you start in a new school that you will recomend? Dos and dont's, please

Would I have a mentor or assigned teacher to ask any questions I may have? In the past, all I got was: use your best judgment (read: we do not have any time for you) and I almost ended up in capability.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great news!

See below

Not always, but you could specifically ask your HoD who should be your first port of call

It is up to you to read all the policies and other documents to get an understanding of how things work.

Find out as much as you can as soon as you can. Borrow a copy of the Staff Handbook if you don’t have your own copy. Check the Emergency Evacuation procedures. Make sure that you know who the CP designated person is. Get the dates for important things like Parents’ Evenings, Report-writing, End of Term, Beginning of Next Term, put them in your diary.

Remind yourself of . . The Teachers’ standards.

Starting a new job I suggest that you read these in this order. They may not all be relevant to you, but I've included them for the benefit of other readers.

Join a Union. Yes, now!

Get yourself organised

When should you get your contract?

What do I do with my payslip?

I’ve booked a holiday for the start of term. Help!

New School blues

Can I take my materials to a new school?

Starting as an NQT - exciting but just a bit scary

Doing NQT induction in an independent school

Best wishes

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Stay off social media. Just don't do it.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes - I'm about to write an article on that . . .

Most schools have clear policies on what you may and may not do on social media. Friending students is the first No-No.

Best wishes