1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all, another question - references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by msmuse, May 3, 2012.

1. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I left my permanent position in Aug 2010 (for family reasons) and went straight to a temp position in an independent school. Then I did some supply and am now in another temp position.
    I need advice about which school to use re. references for new applications.
    Do I use references from the HT of my last two (temporary) schools, or use my current school and previous (permanent) school? I feel that I should use my permanent HT reference as that will be more comprehensive in terms of my role, performance and personal qualities.
    What do you advise?

2. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I left my permanent position in Aug 2010 (for family reasons) and went straight to a temp position in an independent school. Then I did some supply and am now in another temp position.
    I need advice about which school to use re. references for new applications.
    Do I use references from the HT of my last two (temporary) schools, or use my current school and previous (permanent) school? I feel that I should use my permanent HT reference as that will be more comprehensive in terms of my role, performance and personal qualities.
    What do you advise?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The official position is that you should put your current or most recent employer in a job involving working with children. In theory this could mean a Supply Agency.
    But they are notoriously bad at references, often just putting: We confirm that Mr T Griff has been working for us as a supply teacher since January 2011.
    That's it, the lot.
    Not much use to you nor to the school.
    So . . . use your current school, to fit the criterion, and then any one of the last 3 schools (either temporary or permanent) that you feel will (a) write favourably about you and (b) actually bother to do the reference, and do it on time.
    Don't forget to read all the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread, and also read this:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Best wishes

4. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

As always Theo, thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated.
    However, if I use my current school as a reference along with the most appropriate school for this 'ideal' job application (the independent school), it will mean that I will be using two short-term position schools for my references. Won't that count against me?
    In this case would it be better to list my current school in the 'teaching experience' section, but not use them for reference (especially as I have only been there for 3 weeks)?
    It is all soooo exhausting [​IMG]

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope.
    I can see no problem with this.
    Best wishes