1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo and all - 10-15 min nursery advice please

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bobbins16, Dec 2, 2011.

1. <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font><font size="2">I have an
    interview next week for a nursery teacher position and have been told I will be
    observed for 10-15 minutes on any whole class activity I choose with 15
    children. As I am early years I think I know what I want to do but was
    wondering if anyone could advise on what a head would be looking for? (I know
    this forum is not about giving ideas out thats not what I'm asking!) </font>

<font size="2">I had an interview where they asked us to share a story with
    nursery children, 10-15 mins, as it is such a short amount of time with 3-4 yr
    olds that I'd only just met I thought this was appropriate and it is something
    that is important in the early years. Is it more about the interaction and
    engaging the children than the activity?</font>

<font size="2">Thanks[​IMG] </font>

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well done and congratulations on that interview.
    Not Theo I'm afraid but just a fellow jobseeker, with a bit of experience of teaching behind me.
    From my knowledge- Yes.
    Rememeber the type of activity you choose and what you do with the children will indicate what type of teacher you are and give an indication of your teaching style, as well as the way you interact with the children.

3. Thank you and thanks for your quick response. Yes thats what i'm afraid of, that if I was to choose a story it might not be enough to show me as a teacher but its such a short time to do something the children will be unfamiliar with, or am I not thinking outside the box?! I really need to decide and stick with something though so I can prepare for the interview. I am wondering if I need something active!! too many thoughts at the moment sorry!

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

They will want you to demonstate, I would have thought, that the children get something out of the story telling, not just be entertained. You wIll have to think about what your objective is and<u> </u>focus your questions or follow-up activity towards this. It could be empathy with a character, the moral behind the story, predicting what might happen or extending vocabulary for example.
    Good luck with the interview and well done for getting it! [​IMG]

5. You also need to show that you really want the job, so having great resources would help. I say that because I have been criticised when on interview for my resources being too basic, which made me seethe a bit as I thought it should be to do with building relationships quickly and giving opportunities for the children to shine - not about me showing off! But I got the message that they thought I hadn't put enough effort in.Good luck.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Should be about children learning and making progress. And about YOU shining! So making the effort is a valid point.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars