1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - An American looking to move to London

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kkerr0711, Mar 22, 2012.

1. For my whole teaching career, I have been in the United States. In the USA, I am qualified to teach up to grade six (students: age 11). I have excellent references and plenty of experience. I am now looking to move to London. What do I need to do to become qualified to teach in England? What are my chances of being hired? What other information do you think I need to know as an American looking to re-locate?

Thank you for your help!

Anne

2. For my whole teaching career, I have been in the United States. In the USA, I am qualified to teach up to grade six (students: age 11). I have excellent references and plenty of experience. I am now looking to move to London. What do I need to do to become qualified to teach in England? What are my chances of being hired? What other information do you think I need to know as an American looking to re-locate?

Thank you for your help!

Anne

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Welcome to our Forum!
    Firstly, are you a Citizen of an EU Country with the right to live and work in the UK according to the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996 as amended in 2008? You should check with the British Embassy if you are unsure.
    Secondly, qualification to teach in a maintained school in England and Wales is governed for the next - hang on, let me count - for the next 9 days by the General Teaching Council, which is being abolished on 31 March. :) You will nonetheless need to acquire Qualified Teacher Status, and so you need to investigate this.
    http://www.tda.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/faqs/becoming-a-teacher/qualified-teacher-status.aspx
    Thirdly, there are schools where you do not actually legally need QTS - academies, free schools and independent schools - although most of them will nonetheless require it of their applicants as it is a sign of the fourth point below probably, although not certainly, being covered.
    Fourthly, you need familiarity with the UK schools system. This is often the very first point on the person specification: Understanding and experience of the National Curriculum. And this will be your big problem, to be honest. Schools nowadays are very strictly regulated, and are subject to no-notice inspections. If a teacher isn't up to scratch, hasn't understood what to do, how to do it, what data they should be using, how to ensure inclusion of all pupils, what format of lessons, then it can be very serious for a school and for a Head. Which brings me to point five . . .
    Fifthly, there is currently a large over-supply of primary teachers - up to age 11. This may partly melt away over the next 7 years, but only partly, as there are very large numbers of unemployed Primary teachers - in some areas (not London) you may have 200-300 people applying for one job in a Primary school. In these circumstances, you will understand that a Headteacher will prefer to employ someone who is UK-trained and UK-experienced, of whom there are zillions, instead of running a risk.
    Your best chance is to contact the American Schools in London, where your experience will be an advantage, not a disadvantage.
    The American School in London
    ACS International Schools Home page
    TASIS The American School in England, London, UK
    I'm sorry - this is not the answer that you hoped for, I know.
    Best wishes

4. Thank you so much for the information. This all was exactly what I needed to know. Thank you again. Have a lovely day.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I certainly did - i was in TES Towers in London, meeting Tessers!

Best wishes