1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo & All - Urgent Statement Question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 6, 2011.

1. I am currently writing a statement against the PS criteria. The PS has a column saying where the information to fulfil the criteria will be found. Do I completely ignore the ones that just say interview and references (This covers 10 bullet points)? However, if I do, my statement is very short (6 bullet points)!
    Any suggestions?

2. Anybody?

3. I would include as much information as possible. You are trying to sell yourself remember. What is the limit? If it says 2 sides of A4, then write 2 sides of A4.
    Your personal statement does not have to stick rigidly to only addressing the points on the person specification and I would actually suggest that this is a rather bad way of going about it.

4. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

My feeling is that a good application letter should state what you can offer the school, backed up with examples, and links to the job description rather than just goes through the person spec mechanically.
    An application letter should be approximately two sides of A4, with times new roman font in around 12.

5. This is an interesting point. I've always been told to address the points as that is what they want to know about...

6. I have shown what I can offer the school with examples to illustrate. By mechanically, do you mean addressing each point as it is set out in the PS?

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ruby - have you read the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread? Your executive summary can cover easily, in chart format, all 10 points.
    Your personal statement or application letter should certainly address the points in their person spec, in greater detail and full sentences, not note form as in the exec summary, but should also go further.
    You will want them to know more about you as a teacher - your ethos, philosophy, what you will bring to the job and the role.
    The other posters are corect - 2 sides A4 in a sensible size font is what we would expect.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

8. Make sure that all the points of the person specification are covered in the personal statement yes definitely, but as the last poster said I don't think schools are looking for this to be done so 'mechanically.' You mention bullet points. In my opinion, and others may disagree, I don't think bullet points is a good way to go about it. Personally I think it is better to write a statement/letter in which the points of the person specification are embedded throughout.

9. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Hi Rugby Gal
    I use the Person Specification to write my Executive Summary. I then do a letter of application / statement (depending on what they want). Are you doing both of these? It sounds like you are writing an ES but you're calling it a statement, so I'm not sure.
    The summary should look at the person spec and show how you meet the criteria point by point. If there isn't much to go with, you could always add things in which you feel are essential and give it a title of "An effective teacher of....." and then put how you meet those "essentials." This was advice given to me when the person spec was not very long, and that's what I did.
    If it's a letter/statement and you're not sure how to set it out, the Welcome Thread has suggestions on the layout - with the following sections are suggested for the main part of the letter:
    [*]Current and recent experience[*]Other achievements relevant to your post[*]The priorities of your post[*]The future of the SchoolI see the statement as a chance to elaborate on exactly how your experience would benefit the school - the summary just shows in brief why you match their criteria. Your statement should definitely persuade them as to why you are the best candidate. If you only match what's on their PS, point by point, it may lack flair. Just immerse yourself in all the literature you have about the school, then think about why you'd love to work there, and then bring in all the things you have to offer the school and how it matches what they do.
    Good luck with the summary / statement (whichever it is you're writing)!

10. The bullet points are how the criteria are set out in the PS. I am aiming to embed them throughout rather than one by one.

11. Apologies. I thought you were bullet pointing in your statement. I would definitely avoid that.

12. Oh, no, definitely not!!

13. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have had some excellent advice here, Ruby.
    However I must emphasise for other posters starting off their applications that the Welcome thread is the place to look - there is loads of advice there.
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

14. I have read the clickables. I have my ES to go with my application. As I have now addressed all the points in this, do I still need to write about the criteria that will be evidenced through reference/interview within the statement? Or do I try and include somewhere, but in less detail?

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, you'll need the rest of those 2 pages to sell yourself, say what is special about you.
    Over and out, Ruby.
    Best of luck!

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate