1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Am I reading too much into this?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stickinsect, Mar 13, 2016.

1. stickinsect

stickinsect New commenter

Dear Theo,

Having not applied for a job for nearly 10 years, I've felt very out of touch with the current approach to applications. Thank you for all the advice on TES - it's been a great help.

However, I'm still a little uncertain on the matter of Executive Summaries and letters. The application form for the job I'm looking at has a section for a 'statement of suitability' (max. two sides of A4) where the candidate should demonstrate how he/she meets the competencies and give concrete examples of what they've done and the impact of each action. In addition, the application pack calls for a letter 'outlining your suitability for the role'.

So my question is: Where should I put the ES? Should it be in the body of the application form or in the letter?

I'm inclined to put the detail in to the form and am guessing that the word 'outlining' is a hint to put the ES into the supporting letter. Or am I reading too much into one word? And, if so, will it look odd to have a letter comprised mainly of an ES in the form of a table?

Any clarification you can offer would be much appreciated!

Thank you.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there, @stickinsect and welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to be of help.

Perfect place to put the E.S.

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S

So write a letter!

Letter of application for a teaching job

It would indeed!

Yes, you are reading too much into 'outlining'. A letter should be a letter.

Best wishes

3. stickinsect

stickinsect New commenter

Thank you. That's really helpful. There's something about the application process that paralyses my brain so it's fantastic to have access to an expert!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)