1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Always the interviewee, never the appointed...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by a_rooti, May 3, 2012.

1. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

I've been applying for jobs for just over a year as I really want to get out of my school and have a change, for a variety of reasons. I've had about 8 interviews, which is about 80% success rate - so I'm confident I'm doing something right. I was even offered one job, but on reflection, the school wasn't for me, so I withdrew my interest.
    Each school who has rang me has said it was very close and there has been really positive feedback from each interview, for both my lessons and interview.
    Anyway, my DREAM job in my DREAM school has come up and I have an interview next week. I'm happy with the lesson I've planned, I'm confident with my interview manner and I'm just keeping everything crossed that the meeting of them wanting me and vice versa is finally here.
    Except...
    In the invite to interview it says I will be asked to lead a 5 minute discussion on a theme or topic given to me on the day. I've never experienced anything like this and haven't a clue what it could be or the sort of things they might be looking for.
    Any help would be so welcome.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

2. a_rooti

a_rooti New commenter

I've been applying for jobs for just over a year as I really want to get out of my school and have a change, for a variety of reasons. I've had about 8 interviews, which is about 80% success rate - so I'm confident I'm doing something right. I was even offered one job, but on reflection, the school wasn't for me, so I withdrew my interest.
    Each school who has rang me has said it was very close and there has been really positive feedback from each interview, for both my lessons and interview.
    Anyway, my DREAM job in my DREAM school has come up and I have an interview next week. I'm happy with the lesson I've planned, I'm confident with my interview manner and I'm just keeping everything crossed that the meeting of them wanting me and vice versa is finally here.
    Except...
    In the invite to interview it says I will be asked to lead a 5 minute discussion on a theme or topic given to me on the day. I've never experienced anything like this and haven't a clue what it could be or the sort of things they might be looking for.
    Any help would be so welcome.
    Thanks in advance. [​IMG]

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

"In the invite to interview it says I will be asked to lead a 5 minute
    discussion on a theme or topic given to me on the day. I've never
    experienced anything like this and haven't a clue what it could be or
    the sort of things they might be looking for
    . "
    Think about it, this is what you will do in the classroom when something unexpected crops up and the class just 'runs with it'. Difference is you'll be doing it in front of adults.
    Congratulations on the interviewand best of luck with it.
    [​IMG]

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on the high success rate for getting interviews; you clearly have got loads to offer any school.
    Do general interview preparation with the clickables inside the Welcome thread. Don't forget to re-read these:
    Safeguarding and Child Protection - the questions, NOT the answers.
    * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    As for your task, the main thing is to remember that it will be perfectly achievable, especially by a good candidate which you clearly are.
    I would try to identify what the aim of the discussion is, and how to ensure that all can participate and be respected.
    Looking forward to your new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes

5. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

Well done on getting interviews and good luck for it; the task isn't something I've come across before, but I suppose the school are just trying to get a feel for who you are.
    Good luck!