1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, always interviewed but never employed but told by my colleagues im an excellent teacher... what can i do?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by skeptucator, Apr 11, 2011.

1. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I am having exactly the same problem and am currently an NQT on temporary contract. I've found that in many cases, the school already know who they are hiring... the whole interview procedure is just a front to make it look like they are being fair.
    For example, I imagine this was the case when you went for interview having been on supply there, they knew you and they liked you.
    I've lost every interview I've had to people on supply in the school already, or maternity cover, PGCE placements etc. One interview I went to the guy's wife was in the SLT!
    After days and weeks of prep for these interviews it is gutting to walk in and there is always an internal candidate or someone who knows the right people.
    How many interviews have you had? Keep positive, at least you're being shortlisted!
    Laura x

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, Laura.
    No school would deliberately choose the second-best candidate. It is up to you to show them that you are the best.
    Is there any point going to interview if there is an internal candidate?
    Firstly, let's say a big Well Done to you for getting more than one interview.
    Times are hard, there are masses of unemployed teachers, and very few jobs around - between one quarter and one third FEWER jobs have been advertised this year compared to last. Getting an interview shows that you have done well, very well.
    So why don't you get the job? It may just be that the others are better at expressing their strengths in the interview.
    Have you read the advice in the shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread? Have you tried doing a mock interview with a friend to give blunt advice? Getting real feedback about how you come over can be very useful.
    If all else fails, there's always the TES services - the Job seminar on May 14th, or booking an individual session with me.
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storyCode=6040876 is about the short sessions - there are also half days available.
    Do read the Welcome thread for advice that has helped many posters!
    I got shortlisted for interview

By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Re-write that:
    Have you read the advice in the interview clickables in the Welcome thread?
    Best of luck
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. skeptucator

But surely if someone has worked there for a year on maternity leave, then they are, more often than not, going to be the best candidate?
    As in, they know how the school works and are familiar with the courses they run etc. What I meant was that it's almost like I don't have a chance when I walk in the door.
    I've been for interviews where the internal candidates haven't had to teach because the panel have taken into account their most recent observation. It seems really unfair because obviously they will know those students and can provide for them much better.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't be so negative! Yes that internal candidate was the best at the last interview, WITH A DIFFERENT SET OF CANDIDATES!
    Yes they may know the school, BUT you have a whole new set of skills, expertise & interests to offer them.
    I was in fact an internal candidate last year & failed to get the job. I was so familiar with the school through my supply that I failed to sell myself at interview. So don't assume the internal will get it. Get in there, convince yourself you're the best & sell yourself as the best candidate this time around!

6. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

If it makes you feel any better, a fellow PGCE trainee applied for a job that came up in her placement school. They loved her and she thought she had it in the bag. But she lost out to a teacher with 15 years experience who was relocating.
    But on the flipside, my friend was on a one year contract as a Science teacher and they advertised the post on TES as it was to become permanent. But they took her to one side and offered her the permanent post without interviewing her. So not sure what they will do about all the people who have applied.
    I also didn't agree with my current placement school advertising for three jobs when only one existed. They advertised for an English and Media teacher, a Media and History teacher and a Media teacher. They only had one job and wanted to see who would be the best fit and would take one person on and use existing staff to fill the other gaps.

7. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

A colleague of mine got a job over the internal. They only gave the internal the interview out out of politeness.but my colleague also came across as absolutely, determinedly, wanting the job and that came over. Good luck.

8. skeptucator

Thank you for all your responses. I'm sure there are more than just me in this position. I'm putting so much effort into tomorrow to demonstrate that I am the best candidate. Fingers crossed!
    Good luck to the OP, hope you get something soon.

9. Good luck!