1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, (Almost there, I think)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by aliciablanco, May 18, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I have almost completed one of the application forms for a post I feel so suited for in an independent school in Manchester.
    I have a few questions though (if only I could go to your Seminar...):
    1. The school asks for the actual application form and supporting letter. There is no Personal Statement section in the application form, does this mean that the supporting letter should include what I would normally include in my Personal Statement?
    2. There are a few things I would like to make the school aware of but I really didn't want to include them as part of my personal statement. (The reasons why we are moving back to the UK and that I would be prepared to fly over to the UK for an interview).Can I just mention them in my e-mail when I send them the application?
    3. I have spent quite a lot of time learning about the actual school and honestly, I almost see myself there. I feel I have (very professionally) worded that, is that OK?
    4. The application pack says that applications should be posted to the school but as I am in the UAE, do you think I could ask if I can e-mail my application as well as post from the UAE is quite slow and doesn't always get there on time?
    5. Now, a "delicate issue"... Do I mention anything about my command of English? I think I know what you are going to say but this worries me a little because I have experienced situations before in which my application was not considered further and when I enquired why was told because they preferred native speakers. I had also thought about not including this at all and calling the school to have a brief chat with the Head Teacher. This is also something I did in the past and it got me further in the application process in some cases I even got the job.

I would truly appreciate your advice.

Gracias de nuevo!

Alicia

2. Dear Theo,
    I am really sorry to be a pain but I would like to complete my application and e-mail it so the school receives it by Monday morning.
    I would really appreciate a bit of advice on my last post if you have 5 minutes to spare as you will probably be super-busy tomorrow.
    Thanks again!
    Alicia

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nice and neat, and with numbered questions - thank you very much!
    Q1 Yes.
    For an effective application, you should send the following:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables explain about this.
    Q2 Why not have them in the statement/letter? Not a really good idea to have separate information in the e-mail, it might well not get further than the secretary. And if it does, it looks messy - a printed e-mail is not neat.
    Q3 Possibly, I cannot really say without seeing it. But only possibly . . . My gut feeling is probably better not to get emotional
    Q4 Yes
    Q5 Why not just mention it casually, for example by saying: As I am myself bilingual in English and Spanish, I . . . . and then say something relevant. That makes the point without making an issue of it.
    Best wishes