1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo & All: how to show a bad situation in a good light...!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LucSki, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I worked at an indy school from september 2011 after re-locating. I went into the job assuming it would be the same ethos/supportive and friendly atmosphere as my previous school where I taught for 4 years very sucessfully - I now know this was very naive!
    Long story short, the headteacher ended my contract early stating it was not the place for me. There was also a lot of other issues going on with the school in question and they used me as a scapegoat. I later found out the previous 2 teachers in the post had something similar happen to them.
    Anyway.. on reflection I agree it wasn't the place for me (but for different reasons than the head stated!) BUT I would have seen out the whole school year and then moved on.
    How do I now put my situation across in a positive light on application statements and at interviews? I obviously dont want to criticise the school and need to make everything seem positive but I am at a loss as to how to do this!
    The head teacher is giving me an agreed reference and has stated that I can 'let perspective employers know that I left by agreement with the school and that I am seeking a more suitable position'. - I just dont think this is any better as its seems that I can't stick to my guns and will abandon anything that doesn't work out, which is not true! My reference from the school I was at for 4 years and is glowing.
    Any help would be fab [​IMG] x

2. Hi,
    I worked at an indy school from september 2011 after re-locating. I went into the job assuming it would be the same ethos/supportive and friendly atmosphere as my previous school where I taught for 4 years very sucessfully - I now know this was very naive!
    Long story short, the headteacher ended my contract early stating it was not the place for me. There was also a lot of other issues going on with the school in question and they used me as a scapegoat. I later found out the previous 2 teachers in the post had something similar happen to them.
    Anyway.. on reflection I agree it wasn't the place for me (but for different reasons than the head stated!) BUT I would have seen out the whole school year and then moved on.
    How do I now put my situation across in a positive light on application statements and at interviews? I obviously dont want to criticise the school and need to make everything seem positive but I am at a loss as to how to do this!
    The head teacher is giving me an agreed reference and has stated that I can 'let perspective employers know that I left by agreement with the school and that I am seeking a more suitable position'. - I just dont think this is any better as its seems that I can't stick to my guns and will abandon anything that doesn't work out, which is not true! My reference from the school I was at for 4 years and is glowing.
    Any help would be fab [​IMG] x

3. This may or may not be similar to my experience last year. I also relocated and ended up taking a job in an indie that I really didn't fit into. I did see out the year but started applying for other jobs as soon as they started coming up. Because all my previous experience was in state schools and the schools I were applying for were state, I didn't have too much of a problem - because it is very easy to explain I didn't fit and they could immediately understand. The school that offered me my current job said they "saw how out of context" I was in the indie. So my advice would be - make it very clear why this school wasn't for you and if the new school is also dissimilar to the one you've just escaped from they will probably understand! Remember you have a second referee on applications so that should put any concerns to rest if the first one is a bit neutral - plus a space to briefly explain reasons for seeking new position. Good luck.

4. Thanks, good to know it isn't just me and sometimes the face just doesn't fit!
    All my previous experience has been in Indy, so may be a bit more difficult to explain to prospective schools... I'm applying to indy schools as i'm worried my experience is too different from state.. although keeping an open mind.
    Its difficult to explain how the school wasn't for me without being critical.. I guess I could try doing comparasons between my other good experience.. I dont know! argh!
    On another note.. many of the parents have offered to give references..is it worth mentioning this at interview to try and prove it wasnt me.. it was the school??
    Rowntreegirl - glad you found somewhere good for you [​IMG]

Thanks x

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

There has been some good advice given above. But the most important thing is: make sure that you talk about it in your letter, so that it is out in the open.
    Say that it was different from your experience and you were like a round peg in a square hole. Mention that parents were very supportive of you and that one has offered to write a reference and you can supply contact details if they would like this. Ask your other referee to mention specifically in THEIR reference how surprised they were that someone with your excellent record had this unfortunate experience.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">And: don't be worried. People can get jobs still.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March
    </td></tr></table>