1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo & all - Didn't get the job

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 18, 2011.

1. After loads of applications, I finally secured an interview, a year after my last one - finally a chance! Unfortunately, I didn't get past the teaching part of the interview to make it to the panel stage.
    I feel **** now because this was my last chance to prove myself and I couldn't do it. It seems supply teaching has done me more harm than good.
    I also found out afterwards, that one of the candidates was internal - and guess who made it through to the panel interview!!!
    I will sleep on it, but I'm pretty sure I've reached the end of the teaching road. I can't put myself through this anymore...and I need a proper income!

2. After loads of applications, I finally secured an interview, a year after my last one - finally a chance! Unfortunately, I didn't get past the teaching part of the interview to make it to the panel stage.
    I feel **** now because this was my last chance to prove myself and I couldn't do it. It seems supply teaching has done me more harm than good.
    I also found out afterwards, that one of the candidates was internal - and guess who made it through to the panel interview!!!
    I will sleep on it, but I'm pretty sure I've reached the end of the teaching road. I can't put myself through this anymore...and I need a proper income!

3. This is probably one of the reasons you didn't get through. Everytime I have had an interview with an internal candidate, I haven't got through to the interview part. I know it's not because I can't teach - I can teach because the children I teach day to day in my full time job make fantastic progress. I just treat it as experience and think that at least they didn't waste any more of your time.
    Don't give up, think about it over the Summer. Apply for as many jobs as you can, and don't let it get you down.

4. This is probably the reason you didn't get through. Each time there's been an internal candidate where I've been interviewed, I haven't got through to the interview part. And I know it's not because I can't teach - I can. I know this because my current class in my full time job make fantastic progress.
    Just think of it this way - at least they didn't waste any more of your time.
    Don't give up. Think about it over the Summer and then apply for as many jobs as you can in September.

5. Sorry about the double post, I got an "Oooops something went wrong!" page.

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

Hi
    Whilst it isn't a given that if an internal is there, the job is theirs (I got my current post over an internal applicant) I believe that if there is a strong internal it gives them an advantage - schools will employ somebody who is notably better than, but if someone demonstrates similar skills they will often go with the "safe" option.
    (I am saying that to encourage anyone who may have an interview on the horizon with an internal - it isn't a foregone conclusion but if they do get it don't beat yourself up.
    You say you've filled in loads of applications - do you mind me asking if you think you have a really strong letter? I've known some people who have written what they think is a good letter but it isn't quite pushing those buttons (I know there is advice on here but it's quite general, it has to be of course but I could possibly help? PM me if you'd like.)
    I really hope you have a good rest, and feel better tomorrow x

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm sorry for your disappointment, RugbyGal. Really, really sorry. And I know how fed up, disheartened and plain downright annoyed you must be feeling.
    And in these circumstances, it is all too easy to think "Oh, of course the internal candidate has an advantage!".
    Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't!
    Some schools put internals through so that they can get experience, as a form of professional development, even though they are not yet ready to do the job.
    Some schools put internals through because they haven't got the courage to say "I am not shortlisting you". How much easier to say "The panel decided to appoint another candidate".
    Some internals are too confident, or don't realise that they should treat it like an interview elsewhere, so don't present themselves well.
    And some internals have big drawbacks to them, which the panel know about. The drawbacks of external candidates are usually well hidden!
    So, comforting as it is to say "I didn't have a chance against an internal", it's always better to stop and think through: "Where could I have done better? What opportunity to show my Key Facts did I perhaps not make best use of?"
    And start planning for the next stage.
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

8. Sometimes internals don't get the job, been there done that!

Go on job sites and post your CV up there - thats how I got lucky one week before the end of term and after several unsuccessful interviews!

Good luck!