1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo/ all, confused, is Indie for me?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by obie77, Mar 1, 2011.

1. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Dear Theo/all,
    I am a teacher in a maintained school and I am thinking of applying to a Indie pre-pep school. I am just a bit confused or maybe concerned that it won't be right for me.
    Here are my concerns. Does salary dependant on experience relate to my general teaching experience ( I am ups1) or experience in that job role? The job is a Foundation Stage teacher, I do not have as much experience here as I do in Key Stage 2.
    Secondly, this probably sounds a bit silly! I am worried that I will not fit in. I'm concerned that I come from a working class family and have very little experience of Indie education.
    I also read that Independants don't usually welcome visits but I really would like to, should I just ask?
    Finally I am worried that I am being swayed to apply for the wrong reasons. Really wanting to leave my present school quickly, they offer full child care benefits, class sizes will be smaller and holidays longer.
    Has anyone else taught Foundation Stage in an Independant or had a similar move from Maintained to Independant?
    Thank-you for reading my long post!

2. obie77

obie77 New commenter

Apologies for spelling mistakes! I clearly should have not written this when tired!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Firstly, you need to do some research.
    On here!
    Open the Welcome thread and read the clickables inside.
    Have a browse of other posts. Do a search on Maintained and State - that should bring up posts where people discuss their very varied views!
    Go to the websites of your local pre-prep and prep schools. Get a feel for them. See if there's an Open Morning one weekend soon - you can go along to see what a school is like, even if it has no vacancies.
    If a job is advertised, you can ask to visit, but normally a full, individual, visit is given on interview day, so you know enough about the school by the time they ask you "Are you still interested in the job?".
    As for pay, indies are all different. But it is normal for them (at least those that are not on their last legs, financially) to at least meet your current pay.
    Be careful - nobody wants a refugee! Think of the advantages such as being able to concentrate more on education, having support of parents, being able to contribute more in clubs and other activities.
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

In addition to all the good points made by Theo:
    I wouldn't worry about that at all. I came from a working class family in the east end of London and ended up as Director of Music in a well-known public school (having also served as a housemaster and latterly as Chairman of the Common Room). I never felt out of place in any of the three HMC schools I worked in. The school will be interested in your teaching abilities and commitment, not your background.
    In my experience, visits are always welcome. However, there are often a large number of applicants for jobs in the independent sector, so you may well find that a particular day is set aside for visits.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I don't think that's true but it is the case that independents don't generally have the culture of having "random adults" wandering into a classroom as is normal in the maintained sector (by "random adults" I mean inspectors, peer observers, TAs, SEN TAs, SLT and so on).
    So if you do ask for a visit it may be that you don't get an instant "yes" because the school will have to ask around the staff and see who thinks their class wouldn't mind having and observer and that may take a while.
    It's not that they don't want you to look round, it's just that it's not as common and so they're generally not as "organised" as a state school is in supporting your visit.

6. Just to give another perspective, the independent junior school where I work has an open doors policy: as well as regular formal tours, parents, governors and prospective staff are positively welcomed at all times. In fact it's an unusual day when there isn't someone visiting! I think it's probably connected with the need to keep numbers up and therefore to make it as easy as possible to advertise and show off the school, but I also know that our Head would be very surprised if a prospective member of staff didn't want to visit us before applying.
    So yet again, it depends on the school. It may well be that schools like mine are in the minority, but don't be put off from at least asking to visit, in case it actually goes against you!

7. sarahmilly

sarahmilly New commenter

I moved from the state sector to indy 4 years ago and have never looked back!
    I have never had any connection with the private sector in my life before, but fit in fine... As long as you do a good job and get on with people, you'll be great!!!!
    The perks are great: smaller classes, longer holidays etc... I also find that there is far more parent pressure and I actually have to give a lot more in term time than in my previous job, but my school is such a lovely place to be that I want to give more anyway!
    Good luck.