1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Agency references

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by opendoors, Feb 10, 2012.

1. My agency provided my prospective employers with a SENTENCE just confirming the dates I worked for them and my position.

When some prospective employers mentioned that the agency's reference wasn't enough and I needed to provide a third referee, I then asked the agency why did they offer such a reference after I had worked for them for nearly 3 years and at some point I was on a long term assignment for a year. The answer was that agencies are no longer allowed to offer references but to only confirm employment only since they wouldn't observed supply teachers at work.

Since I cover different schools on a day-to-day basis. Is it acceptable to request a reference from school heads I have been to their schools on more than one occasion - (if I have been to a school for more than 7 days/occasions in total over a term covering different classes each time)?

Will such a head accept that? At some schools I hardly have a chance to chat with the heads though I would have put an effort to feedback to them after a day's work [reason: bureaucracy - and at times will be told 'head is too busy']) .

2. My agency provided my prospective employers with a SENTENCE just confirming the dates I worked for them and my position.

When some prospective employers mentioned that the agency's reference wasn't enough and I needed to provide a third referee, I then asked the agency why did they offer such a reference after I had worked for them for nearly 3 years and at some point I was on a long term assignment for a year. The answer was that agencies are no longer allowed to offer references but to only confirm employment only since they wouldn't observed supply teachers at work.

Since I cover different schools on a day-to-day basis. Is it acceptable to request a reference from school heads I have been to their schools on more than one occasion - (if I have been to a school for more than 7 days/occasions in total over a term covering different classes each time)?

Will such a head accept that? At some schools I hardly have a chance to chat with the heads though I would have put an effort to feedback to them after a day's work [reason: bureaucracy - and at times will be told 'head is too busy']) .

3. Dear Theo, its me again,

Since am now working for 2 teaching agencies can I use both of them as my referee 1 and referee 2? I just started working with the second agency from this January 2012.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, Agencies write rubbish references. Always best to avoid giving them wherever possible - although it is not true that they are "Not allowed" to give better ones. Obviously they cannot say that your teaching, planning, assessment is good, as they do not know that, but they could say, with perfect honesty, that they get very good feedback from all the schools where you have been placed, that they get repeat requests for you by name.
    But they choose not to, and nearly all of them just do the minimum that you describe.
    Q1 Absolutely - most people on supply do this. And get one from that long-term supply school too.
    Q2 Yes - even if they don't know you personally, they'll get someone else in the school to draft it for them.
    Q3 Not a good idea at all - you'll just get two rubbish references. I shouldn't give ANY agency if you can avoid it.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 18th February
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop82.eventbrite.com