1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo (after tech issues!) & All: Dismissal/Mutual Agreement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by LucSki, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Hellooo..
    Another app form question..
    There is a section asking about dismissals. Technically I was dismissed from my last post (NO diciplinary BTW!) but I have in writing from the head that I can state it was a mutual agreement for me to leave.
    Shall I leave the dismissal space blank or tick 'no' but put a footnote that I left on a mutual agreement?
    A bit scared the head will change their mind and.. say something different at referencing!
    Theo - hope your computer fixes itself soon!
    ta xx

2. Now I think that this may set alarm bells ringing and so you should address the reasons for this in your application letter. Be ready however for them to bin your application after reading "left by mutual consent". Theo may disagree with me on this but I am sure it goes on.Any employer worth its salt would not prejudice against previous problems as they could well be in the past but, with so many jobseekers, it's a buyers market.Good luck.

3. Yeah, have outlined it in my statement and been honest .. and already got one interview..
    this is the only app form i've seen with a specific section regarding this so just wondering what the best action is.

Thank you for your thoughts though

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My apologies for the tardy reply - although I am only supposed to reply 2 or 3 times a week, so actually it's not so very tardy.
    :)
    In which case you can say that it was by mutual agreement. And how, technically, can it be a dismissal in this case? Perhaps you were just threatened with that. Look at your actual letter from the school.
    Tick no, if your letter does not say dismissal.
    If you have a compromise agreement then the Head cannot change what they say.
    Thanks for the good wishes! It wasn't my computer - I was with TheoGriff Snr who has no wifi, so was using a mobile device which kept on losing everything I had laboriously typed on its screen. So gave up.
    Best wishes

5. Thank you for your reply..
    bit of a long and complicated story.. basically I was in the first year of employment at the school and was sent a letter referring to a clause where either party can give 1/2 terms notice and end contract. I assumed this means a dismissal?!
    I then sent a letter to the head asking for reasons (as there was no diciplinary).. he then sent one back listing a load of reasons why I was a bad teacher and also that I can say it was a compromise agreement. (Basically a LOT more to this story.. and I know i'm not a bad teacher and was being used as a scapegoat)
    This is why i'm a bit worried about what to put as I dont want to lie or get caught out by saying soomething that puts a situation in a bad light (hence my previous thread about this a while ago!)

I will tick no and have a strategy ready for answering questions on reasons for leaving my last post at interview!

Thanks again

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If they have not sent you a letter saying that you are dismissed, then you aren't.
    So get that out of your head. It would be clearly stated, and could not take place without proper hearings, etc.
    You. Were. Not. Dismissed.
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes

7. Phew! thank you...
    I made Banana and chocolate cupcakes today... one heading your way x

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter