1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo; advice with withdrawing from interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ladykaza, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Dear Theo, and all wise forum contributors.
    Knowing how difficult the job market is I feel a little ungrateful, but I need some advice regarding withdrawing from interview.

After much disappointment over the past year, I finally seem to have sorted out my application form and am lucky enough to have been shortlisted for 3 jobs, all of which closed within days of each other.

After much agonising I have decided that I love school and job number 2 so much that I should withdraw from the 1st interview. I am not sure about the protocol and, fully aware that I may be unsuccessful at interview, I don't wish to ruin my chances for the future if I have to apply for other posts in the area.

I know to whom I should speak, I will express my gratitude and wish them well but I feel I should give a reason and wish to do this as diplomatically as I can.

Any advice would be really helpful.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Are you sure you want to withdraw form an interview at this school. If you haven't actually visited you don't really know what the school is like. Even if school number 2 seems ideal at this stage, suppose you aren't offered the position?
    Theo is far better to advise but if you're sure, you just need to be polite and give your thanks for the invite to interview but that regretfully you wish to withdraw your application and so will not be attending for interview.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you really wish to withdraw, then tell them ASAP so that they can invite someone else. Just ring up and be very regretful, say personal reasons now no longer make it possible for you to attend, and thank them for their time in considering your application.
    BUT . . .
    But are you really really really REALLY sure that you wouldn't want to work in that school? A lot of people will tell you that their view of a school changed, that one that they thought wasn't for them suddenly became their "dream school". I myself actually fell in love - I use the phrase deliberately - with a school at interview. And got the job, luckily! But i wasn't expecting that reaction.
    If the dates don't clash, might you not do better to go anyway, and then see how you feel about it?
    Up to you, of course, but do think about this.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

4. Ladykaza

Thank you both so much for your advice. I have visited all 3 schools and believe me I really have agonised , losing sleep, about what to do. I have considered going along to see if I feel differently , but what finally swung it for me was considering what I would do if I was successful and offered the post without having changed my view: accept and live with the 'what if?' or decline having put the school through all the work , denying the opportunity to another, truly committed candidate. I am, at last, at peace with this as the right decision and hope to get some sleep tonight.
    I will contact the school in the morning and express my regret and gratitude for the opportunity. I will cite personal reasons as you suggest Theo, I just wasn't sure if this was the best thing to say.
    Thank you again.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck for school 2!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

6. Ladykaza

Thank you, every part of me that can cross, is crossed!