1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Advice re: supply teaching please :)

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by chartillylace, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I'm hoping to get full-time work in the Midlands area starting in September. However I'm not at liberty to apply for jobs as am unable at present to make the informal visits to the schools. Are there usually still vacancies arising in July/August?

Also, will keep supply teaching as a back-up plan...how viable is it to expect to work 5days every/most weeks?
    I am willing to travel but don't have my own car yet. Also would be hoping to travel no more than 2 hours a day if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chartilly :)

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You don't HAVE to make informal visits. If you can attend interviews then start applying.
    A few in July, not generally in August.
    Chance of this is almost zero. Look on the supply teachers board and ask how much work people in your area get.
    Will not help with the supply teaching at all.
    That should be fine...

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Minnie has given you excellent advice as usual. I'd just like to underline one bit:
    You do NOT have to visit schools. Even if they say so!
    I hate, hate, HATE schools that insist on this! Don't they know that sometimes it is just not possible?

My advice is to say in your application that circumstances prevented you visiting the school, (you don't have to explain what these circumstances are) but that you have researched it well, and feel that you know the ethos etc etc .
    If possible, it is also a good idea at least to ring the school and ask whether it would be possible to talk briefly to the Head or Deputy Head at some time, as you are unable to visit. And then in your letter mention that you have spoken to him/her. Make sure that you prepare for the phonecall with a few sensible questions (nothing that you could get from the website!), and take notes on what they say.

LadyKaza's post in this thread is really helpful with a suggestion about the phoning: read it!

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/564603.aspx?PageIndex=1

Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That's my gal!
    Or boy . . .
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.