1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo....advice re Skype/indy interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by a9nes, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Hi Theo-and others who have been so helpful in the past. I have been asked for a Skype interview at a very good Indy school, which I am delighted about-and can't quite believe if I am honest! I have read all of the blogs on jobseekers before, and will re-read them. Do you have any extra advice regarding Indy schools/skype interviews? Both of these are a first for me. Thanks.

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Theo will be along in a sec, but I would suggest you wear a plain coloured top, or one with no "fussy" patterns, and make sure the neckline is not low.

I know, I know...but you would dress professionally if you were there in person, so do so for a Skype.

3. Thanks-I have heard tales of people wearing a smart top and pyjama bottoms, but that wouldn't make me feel particularly dynamic or employable!

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

*Chokes*

Nope, it wouldn't!

Good luck! I know how long you've been applying from your previous threads, so really delighted for you! :)

5. Thank you! Much appreciated.

6. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

One thing I will add - I have taught in two indies. You don't specify whether its day or boarding, prep or Senior, but one thing they will probably be very interested in is extra curricular. When I went for an interview at another four years ago about ten minutes of the interview was spent discussing what I could contribute to enrichment.

However, that was four years back - I could be wrong, so probably best to wait for Theo!

7. It is a mix of boarding and day, senior. There was s small section on the form regarding interests. I have been working in an International School where we have similar extra-curricular commitments. I think the thing worrying me most is my mediocre academic back ground, but they know this and are still interviewing so I guess it doesn't concern them-or at least not as much as it concerns me! I think I have an inferiority complex, if I am completely honest!

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Now. Stop.

You have an interview.

Despite what some former posters on this forum would have you believe, not all Indy school teachers are Oxbridge PhDs. I am not, and I have taught in two very respected ones.

Because being that does not mean you can control a class or motivate students.

One of the worst trainees I ever encountered was a Science trainee who wore his PhD like a badge, insisting the students called him "Dr." His lessons were a joke - too much talk, not enough interaction, and all pitched at a level that would have baffled the most conscientious Y13.

You have experience in a school that seems to have a similar ethos. Do the mind mapping that Theo blogs on. And remember - it is a two way process.

Very best of luck!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Was out at end-of-term display last night, Sorry! (Mind you, I am only supposed to be on here "2 or 3 times a week" to reply, so I'm not doing badly!)

Lovely news Agnes!

Now I suggest that if you have time, you Skype somebody to check how near you need to be to the camera.

Some people look weird on Skype because they lean in too much. So you need to learn your best Skype position.

And resist the temptation to have some notes just out of camera to refer to. If you look over at them they will notice and it doesn't look good. If you MUST have some details to hand, say something like I'll just have to consult my notes for the exact date, if you'll excuse me for a few seconds before looking away from them.

Oh, and smile, even though you cannot see them.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes - co-curricular offerings always very much appreciated in Indies - missed that earlier!

11. Thank you Theo. Nice to have an excuse for looking weird!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You look OK in your avatar . . .

[​IMG]

13. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

And hold your nerve if the technology starts playing up, as is not exactly unknown with Skype interviews (says he, from personal experience). Not being able to get through at the appointed hour, lost connection in the middle, all familiar scenarios. If the connection does break down, or you're sitting there at the beginning waiting for a call that doesn't materialise, don't let it throw you. Whey I've done Skype interviews and the technology has let us down, I've always felt sorry for the candidate; it's not their fault, and I'm hoping they're not feeling we're blaming them for the flaws in the technology.

And actually, a break in the connection might come in quite handy if they ask you a particularly difficult question!!! (Only kidding).