1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- advice please!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by bumble-bee89, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    Before half term I was offered a position in a primary school and I am still to recieve a confirmation letter. They've emailed me to let me know that I will receive a letter some time during this week.
    My worry is that I now need to fork out a lot of money to fix my car, which is neccessary in order to drive to work in September. I cannot afford to get this work done if I do not have a position in September and I'm worried that they may change their mind, or the teacher who is leaving might change their mind, before I sign my contract (this has actually happened to someone I know).
    Is there anything to protect me if this happens?
    Thanks
    Bumble-bee

2. Dear Theo,
    Before half term I was offered a position in a primary school and I am still to recieve a confirmation letter. They've emailed me to let me know that I will receive a letter some time during this week.
    My worry is that I now need to fork out a lot of money to fix my car, which is neccessary in order to drive to work in September. I cannot afford to get this work done if I do not have a position in September and I'm worried that they may change their mind, or the teacher who is leaving might change their mind, before I sign my contract (this has actually happened to someone I know).
    Is there anything to protect me if this happens?
    Thanks
    Bumble-bee

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done!
    Don't worry! All that is very unlikely. If the letter doesn't come tomorrow, I suggest that you ring them and say that you are very anxious to accept their offer, but that you will have to continue job seeking in other schools if they cannot confirm their offer in writing.
    Once you have that offer, and have accepted it in writing, then this has contractual force.
    They cannot withdraw the offer at that stage without going through a whole lot of legal stuff. Your actual contract they don't have to give you, according to employment law, until 8 weeks AFTER you start work! So don't hold your breath!
    (Although most send it out earlier).
    Best wishes

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!