1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, advice on redundancy and interviews

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Swiss_Miss, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I currently work in an FE college, but am facing redundancy. There are several posts internally which I can apply for, however I've seen an external one which I really like the look of. The problem is that they will not be shortlisting and interviewing until nearly two weeks after the interviews for the internal vacancies. Where would I stand if I verbally accepted an internal post, but if successful at the other job, decided instead that I would like to take the redundancy? I really don't want to be left without a job, but the salary and benefits of the external post are better than the internal ones on offer.
    I've seen enough of interviews to make me very cynical, and am concerned that if I take a punt on the external post, they will already have an internal applicant/someone cheaper in mind for the position and I could be left high and dry!
    Any advice welcome.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Horrid situation for you to be facing redundancy! Our sympathy to you.
    This is not really an applications issue, but an employment conditions issue. My gut feel is that if you are offered another job in the college, then you are no longer being made redundant, so if you turn it down you will then not be eligible for redundancy pay.
    But you should consult your union about this.
    Best wishes

3. manuscript2007

manuscript2007 New commenter

Just to share my experience on this as well as I am in the same horrible boat.

I was told by my union rep NASUWT that if I got a permanent post from September, I would NOT get redundancy lump sum (as piddly as it is!).
    However, if you get a temporary or supply post, then you DO get the dosh.

I am going to be teaching for the music service temporary for one term so I get my money and goodness, the stress of the last months, I've definitely earned it.