1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: advice on lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon1814, Mar 19, 2011.

1. I am teaching a Maths lesson at an interview to a large Y2 class. I am going to teach a lesson on division (I have been asked to) and I was wondering if I should send them to their tables to do an activity or keep them with me on the carpet doing practical activities.
    I have 30 minutes and I know it will go by quickly so I am not too sure if I should send them to their tables as this will be very rushed.
    I don't want advice about the actual learning as I know what I want to do but I am just unsure about this one point, I usually keep them on the carpet with me for an interview.
    I hope you can help as I know you do not give advice on actual content of lessons and I can understand why.
    Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Hi Little teacher,
    Here's my thoughts, for what they're worth.
    Keeping them on the carpet won't offer you much opportunity to show how you interact with individiduals, so some form of group/pair work will be important.I appreciate you're aware of how much time moving to tables with a group of unknown pupils in Year 2 will take; so what about doing some gp/pr work on the carpet?

3. Hi,
    Thank you Lara mfl for your advice. I know the 30 mins will whizz by and I want to do a fun practical activity at the start after introducing myself and I know that will take about 10-12 mins so I was worried about explaining the activities and then getting them to then go to their tables and get started could take another 10 mins, and then there won't be enough time to actually do the activity and come back for a mini plenary.
    So yes I think an activity on the carpet where they get to work in pairs or small groups would be best too.
    I do appreciate your advice so thank you.
    Little teacher x

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I wouldn't keep year 2 on the carpet for half an hour. It might whiz by for you, but it won't for them and they will get very fidgety.

To be honest your introduction should be done by whoever is observing you or will have been done by the classteacher before you arrive. All you need to do is say hello and then get on with your lesson. A fun practical starter sounds great, but it shouldn't really take a third of the lesson, unless directly linked to the LO.

For a half hour lesson I'd suggest a 5 min starter, definitely lively.
    A 5 min introduction/teaching part.
    Then children off at tables or in small groups in varying parts of the room getting on independently and you with a group doing guided work.
    Then back for a 5 min or so plenary.
    Remember you have a large class so space on the carpet might be very limited. Sitting in a squashed space for the entire session might not be a good move.

5. Ok, I might possibly get them working in groups at their tables.
    Sorry, when I said 10-12 mins for the starter, I meant 10-12 mins for the mental and oral starter and the intro.
    I guess transitions from the carpet to the tables, then getting started and then finishing and coming back to the carpet could take another 5 mins from the time. So they may really only have 10 mins for the activity. As they would then have 5 mins for the plenary.
    I will re-think it though.
    Thanks again for the advice.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

that would sound about right for a 1/2 hour lesson.

5 min starter
    5 min intro
    10 min activty
    5 min plenary
    Best of luck!

7. Ok, thanks. I was unsure about how to structure this but I think I will be ok.
    Thanks so much for the feedback, I do appreciate it. [​IMG]

8. Thank you for all the advice,

[​IMG]

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would have them on different coloured paper. Then you can say something like "If you feel confident then do the blue sheet. if you think it is a bit tricky then collect a green sheet and come back to the carpet with me. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then do the red sheet."

If a child takes the wrong colour to what their ability suggests it won't affect your lesson in the sense it is out of your control.