1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo... Advice on leaving mid-year

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by danielleg22, Jun 16, 2015.

1. I'm currently an nqt with a job an an excellent school where I am very comfortable and well supported. However, I have been offered a job by another school where I will earn slightly more money but more importantly, will have a much greater input in to the department and more opportunities to gain experience. The only problem is that the job is due to start next January. I really would like to see my gcse class through but if I stop and think about what is best for me as an individual, the new job is ideal.

My main concern is how schools view people that leave mid-morning year. I'd like to leave on good terms and perhaps even with an open door but am worried I won't achieve this if I leave at Christmas. Being new to the profession means I don't really understand how these things are viewed! I'm worried my department will be annoyed (which would be upsetting as they have been so supportive this year), as well as the fact that I'm quite aware that I'd be 'abandoning' my students.

This is something I'd usually talk about with my colleagues as they are very supportive but this is a tricky situation!

Help?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

People leave. That's it!

I shouldn't worry.

Nobody is irreplaceable.

Doesn't your HoD know that you went to interview?

As well as your Head, of course! You may find out that people actually already know.

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. I haven't been to interview - I've been approached by my mentor from my training year. The school want be to come in before the summer ends to secure the post and have offered me a recruitment allowance.

...hence why I haven't told my department yet! I wasn't sure if taking the job was the best thing (and it was mainly the fact that I'd have to leave in January) so there has been a lot of contemplating on my part.

I did ask them if a Sept start could rearrange but the head was keen to advertise. They said that if they didn't hire then obviously I could come in for Sept.

Obviously if I secured the post now I'd be able to tell my school earlier - would I be best to do that before the summer or when I return in Sept?

Thanks for the feedback about leaving in at Christmas - someone else left last year and it caused chaos around the school and everyone was quite annoyed and I didn't want that person to be me next year! I had also read on another forum a lot of people say that you really ought to stick out the year for the students sake. I guess it just takes a bit longer in schools to know the etiquette!

P. S. Apologies for typo - mid-year (not mid-moering)!

4. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If you accept this post, better to say sooner to the school than later. There is the issue of timetabling - if a school knows someone is leaving at Christmas, they can plan accordingly.

5. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

This sounds like poaching by the other school to me. And if they're being unethical to their counterparts in your current school, how ethical might they be to you once you're in there? Will they honour all the incentives they're talking about now?

You have to look very carefully at the colour of their grass to see if it really is greener. It might be, but then again...

6. Is this terribly unethical? I thought that this was quite common?

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

It's not very common at all simply to approach a teacher who already has a post in another school - where a school offers a post to someone without advertising the post, it's usually because the teacher is either on teaching practice in that school or on supply.

Approaching a teacher already employed elsewhere is "poaching".

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gosh poaching!

I hadn't realised that. A very brave HT indeed to try that on - the other Heads will be all over him/her.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

9. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I personally would never join a school after Xmas, as I have done in the past. I felt on the back foot all year - new but the school year was not new! I'd only join a school at start of year or maybe after Easter when things winding down a bit. Not mid year again!!

10. And so I presume I wouldn't come out looking too great if I took it?

11. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Many don't leave during the year, but many do. Not sure that it is really poaching, more like headhunting.

Rather than the timing, more concerned about the job. Are they desperate and offering you the earth, why haven't they advertised? i would tend to tread carefully. yes go to the "interview" - but make sure that your eyes are open when you go.

Teachers often sart to feel they are indespensbale, but everyone can be replaced.

12. They are advertising - so I guess it is more head-hunting than poaching?