1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Advice needed please on next step!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Minervaminx, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Dear all, I have been teaching for about 7 years, had a two year break due to a double dose of cancer, returned to a HOY promotion and recently went for a Maternity post for AHT which will last until July and I am loving the responsibility and the opportunity to influence the school I am in. The question is this. My maternity cover person returns in July. Do I therefore return to the HOY job and then stay until Year 11 and then look for an AHT job or do I go for an AHT job now despite only having 6 months experience? Having looked, there aren't many AHT jobs, but there are a number of DHT jobs but I am concerned that only having worked at one secondary school I am underqualified. I am enthusiastic and committed though! My headteacher has told me to 'go for it' but I would really welcome your opinions.. Thank you,

2. Dear all, I have been teaching for about 7 years, had a two year break due to a double dose of cancer, returned to a HOY promotion and recently went for a Maternity post for AHT which will last until July and I am loving the responsibility and the opportunity to influence the school I am in. The question is this. My maternity cover person returns in July. Do I therefore return to the HOY job and then stay until Year 11 and then look for an AHT job or do I go for an AHT job now despite only having 6 months experience? Having looked, there aren't many AHT jobs, but there are a number of DHT jobs but I am concerned that only having worked at one secondary school I am underqualified. I am enthusiastic and committed though! My headteacher has told me to 'go for it' but I would really welcome your opinions.. Thank you,

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I'm glad to hear that youe health has now improved so much that you are thinking of the future.
    Just think of this.
    Most people applying for AHT jobs have no experience at all of being an AHT. You will therefore be in a stronger position than most applicants . . .
    DHT, except in a small school, might be too big a jump.
    Best wishes
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!