1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - addressing every criteria?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Apr 14, 2012.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are absolutely correct in thinking that you cannot include all these!
    How to get it all in? A common dilemma!
    You need to:
    • prioritise
    • group
    • summarise
    • omit
    So, don't put on anything that is on the application form (qualifications, etc). See what is really really important for them - and in the case of something that is going to be assessed through the reference, or the interview, don't include it. UNLESS it is v important - e.g. Outstanding teacher and there you can honestly say something like: Lesson observations graded by Mentor as Good with some aspects Outstanding.
    You certainly need to summarise - if you look at the example I give in the Shortlisting clickable, it wasn't like that on their spec, I have cut it down. And sometimes you can group several points together.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Pressed Post befopre I had finished, and didn't manage to get it all in before the 3-minute window slammed shut!
    You are absolutely correct in thinking that you cannot include all these!
    How to get it all in? A common dilemma! This is the advice that I give for covering everything in an ES - it works just as well for getting what you need in a statement.
    You need to:
    • prioritise
    • group
    • summarise
    • omit
    So, don't put on anything that is on the application form (qualifications, etc). See what is really really important for them - and in the case of something that is going to be assessed through the reference, or the interview, don't include it. UNLESS it is v important - e.g. Outstanding teacher and there you can honestly say something like: Lesson observations graded by Mentor as Good with some aspects Outstanding.
    You certainly need to summarise - if you look at the example I give in the Shortlisting clickable, it wasn't like that on their spec, I have cut it down. And sometimes you can group several points together.
    No - you should not have a covering letter and a statement each including important things about you, as each will only show half how good you are! So don't share out the information between two things.
    If you have a personal statement you should not have anything other than a very very brief covering letter - see FAQs for an example.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.