1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - additional work

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Lauragronland, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Lauragronland

Lauragronland New commenter

Hello,

I am hoping to do some work from home for extra income, possibly during school holidays or weekends. I approached a company about marking exam papers but as I teach Reception I don't meet their criteria. I was hoping you might know of other roles I could look into?

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo Laura

Well, no, I don't expect that you do! You were not too surprised, I hope.

Private tutoring is really the only thing that I can suggest. Google Tutors and the name of your town to see if there are agencies that organise this. And look on the Private tutors forum to see what people there think of this.

Do look in your local newspaper for other home-working opportunities too.

Best wishes

3. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

How about kids parties?

I've known several entertainers become primary school teachers.

Teachers already have the 'crowd control' skills. This is often the major hurdle facing any entertainer.

A traditional format is to do a show in one half of the party and games in the other half.

A reception class are perfect for trying out your show material on!

How you explain the extra noise is up to you.

Kevin

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Be interesting to see the Learning Objective for that class . . .

Kevin is of course make a light-hearted comment here not to be taken seriously, as using learning time for your personal benefit is not the way to go!

Best wishes

5. Lauragronland

Lauragronland New commenter

No I wasn't surprised at all but if you don't try you don't get. Thank you very much for your help and don't worry I won't be using my class.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

7. owltutors1

owltutors1 Occasional commenter

Hi there,
    I am working as a private tutor and it is a great way to earn a little extra cash. For someone with your experience, you would be most likely to find work in preparing children for the 7+ exam. If you are living in London, 7+ tutors with early years experiences are very much sought after.
    Good luck :)