1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - additional information with application help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Nov 14, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A general point first, before I come to your query:
    Why don't you do as they ask, and fill in the form? It is annoying for someone reading the application to be told to look somewhere else for something. It's one of the things that I tell you - don't say See attached . . . The best thing to do in this sort of case is to put the executive summary on the form, and have a separate statement or letter.
    Now looking at your query - if they are very specific that there should only be 2, then you cannot send 3. Can you put an executive summary on the form, and then have 2 pages additional, as I suggest above?
    If not, you're going to have to do without sending them the executive summary - but write it anyway, as it helps you write a better, more focussed letter.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

2. ellie_rose

ellie_rose New commenter

Thanks for the advice. I know it sounds annoying but I try and make it easy for them to find. I always make sure it's in a clearly labelled attachment because if I copy and paste the statement or ES in the box they provide, it always looks really messy and the paragraphs/columns get messed up. In a Word document it seems to look better and doing this has resulted in getting interviews recently so I'm hoping it's working. For this particular vacancy, I will try and paste the ES in the space as you suggest and attach the supporting statement. Thanks :)