1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - about PPA cover and contracts

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by starlight189, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Firstly, thank you again for all of the stickies and advice. I have an interview this week for a job that I'd love. It's a part time job for 2 days a week but the advert also said there was the option of up to 2 days PPA cover as well.
    The thing is, I would need to be guaranteed this PPA cover in order to be finacially stable. I currently live with my family, but it's not commutable so I would have to relocate. I am absolutely fine with that, but need to be sure I can pay the rent rather than relying on supply work! (Also...I'd rather not do supply work anymore...)
    If I am lucky enough to be offered the job, would it be seen as incredibly rude to ask for them to put the PPA cover in my contract?
    Thank you :)

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I think your situation would be incredibly common - most people going for PT posts atm actually want full time but there aren't any around. I have no idea of the ettiquete (sp) of how you would go about doing this. In most interviews they ask the (sneaky) question "If we offer you the job, will you accept?" at which point you could say that you really love the school and really want the job but for financial reasons you really do need the 4 days per week, so yes you would but only if it was offered under those terms. I don't think you are being cheeky - you're just telling the truth.
    I'm sure Theo can give better advise tho.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

ModgePodge has got it just right, a perfect answer.
    (Except the spelling: etiquette. [​IMG] ). But the answer is clear, not pushy, and sends out the message that they need to hear. Just right, Modge!
    I should imagine myself that if they want you for PPA, it would be in the contract.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com