1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: A reference question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kjmushroom, Mar 5, 2012.

1. I know you answer a lot of questions on references but I would just like to clarify my position.

<font size="2"></font>
    <font size="2"></font>I qualified in 2010 and went straight to work as a Cover Supervisor and Learning Mentor and I left this job very amicably at Christmas. The head understood completely that I wanted to develop as a teacher and has had me back on supply since. I am currently working as a supply teacher and for the last 4 weeks been teaching my subject at a local comp, I am at this school for a further 2 weeks and possibly until Easter.
    <font size="2"></font>
    <font size="2"></font>As a PE teacher I supplement my salary working as a casual sports coach for a very well respected youth organisation, my line manager is very supportive and i know the references he has written in the past have been very complementary.My question is, who do I put down if I only have room to put two of the above down? I am planning to ask the head at my current school if I can put him down (and also possibly asking the deputy head to observe me as part of my personal CPD as I have not had a lesson obervation outside of interviews since my PGCE) but who do I put down as my second reference? I usually put my line manager for my coaching work because of my subject area but I'm worried that a school will find it odd that I havn't put my head from the job I only left at Christmas. I saw on a previous thread that you suggested putting 3 people down - if this is your solution, where do I write that person's details if there is only room for 2?

Thank you in advance for your advice - i have tried the < p > thing to try and get paras in my post, hope it works!! KJ x

2. Ok it kind of worked - better than no paras at all!! Sorry for the large gaps, might get the hang of it in the end!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you put the two school references down.
    And then in the actual letter have a short paragraph at the end: If you would like to have a third referee, then Mr Griff who is my line manager at All Youth Coaching is very happy to speak in support of my application. His contact details are . . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com