1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - A quick question regarding references...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by stumigoo, Jan 16, 2012.

1. I am currently applying for an international post and as standard they ask for two references. Of course one has to be your current Head, but the issue I have is that my Head has only been in post a few months and does not know me very well. My principal teacher has said that the chances are he would end up writing the reference on his behalf, and that this is standard practice.
    The question is, do I put down my last Prinicpal Teacher, who would (I think) have lots of nice things to say about, and it was a school I did really well in, but I havent worked there for two years. Or do I simply put down my current Head and current PT (who would also I think have lovely things to say about me), although it might end up the school getting two very similar references?
    Thank You!

2. I am currently applying for an international post and as standard they ask for two references. Of course one has to be your current Head, but the issue I have is that my Head has only been in post a few months and does not know me very well. My principal teacher has said that the chances are he would end up writing the reference on his behalf, and that this is standard practice.
    The question is, do I put down my last Prinicpal Teacher, who would (I think) have lots of nice things to say about, and it was a school I did really well in, but I havent worked there for two years. Or do I simply put down my current Head and current PT (who would also I think have lovely things to say about me), although it might end up the school getting two very similar references?
    Thank You!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Yes, if the Head is new to post,your PT is quite correct,standard practice is they will probably write the reference and the Head will 'sign off' on it.
    Theo's your expert as to whether you could then use the same person as your second reference or whthere you'll have to go back to your previous school.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Since the current PT will write a lovely reference, and have it signed by the Head, and the old PT from the former school will also write a lovely reference, signed by him/herself, what you do is write down your current Head, and the former PT.
    That way you get two schools both saying glowingly good things!
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars