1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, a little confused with job application process...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mmmchocolate, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Hi Theo and any other readers.
    Ages and ages and ages ago I came across a thread which gave details about how to apply to jobs and what the covering letter, letter of application and executive summary involves. Unfortunately I am unable to find them so I am sorry if I am repeating a question that has been previously asked a million times.
    Whilst still on my final placement, I applied for a job and was given an interview (lost out to an internal applicant). For this job, I simply sent my application letter and an e-mail with a title "for the attention of Mr HeadteacherX" and wrote an e-mail thanking him for the school visit, what I learnt from it and how and why I would fit in at the school. I did this as there was nowhere on the advertisement that it asked for anything else. Simply said, please return your completed application to blah@sch.co.uk etc and now a lot of the advertisements I see say the same. However, I have been now attaching my application form in addition to attaching a "letter of application" in which I say about my school visit and attempt to meet the person specification as well.
    My questions are:
    1) Should I send a letter of application to EVERY school? Even if it does not say anything about a letter of app?
    2) Am I confusing letter of app with a cover letter?
    I recently sent off my first application with a letter and an executive summary, you'll be pleased to know and I will aim to do more executive summaries. The thing I find hard, is that some advertisments do not post a person specification or have the person specification on their website. This was one of those schools, so I picked out key phrases from their advertisement and letter to applicants. I hope this is ok!
    Thank you for reading and thanks in advance. I thought I fully understood the whole job applying business but after doing a fair amount this week, I'm starting to think, am I doing something wrong?!

2. A further question...
    3) Should the letter of app and personal statement (within the application form) include different information? I am worried that they may not read the letter properly and so repeat some information but also attempt to add new information too! Is this right?! What advice can anyone give - anything (valuable!) will be gratefully appreciated!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The information that you are looking for is in the welcome thread - the two shortlisting clickables.
    Q1 Yes.
    Q2 Possibly! Read the first FAQ in the Welcome thread to see the difference.
    Q3a If there isn't a person spec, for the E.S. you can pick out info from their docs, as you have done, or you can use a spec from a similar job - in this case for the E.S. you call the two columns something like: Profile of an effective KS2 teacher (or an effective History teacher, etc), and then My profile
    Q3b You shouldn't have both a personal statement and a letter of application. One or the other, not both. Read the FAQs about this.
    Read all the clickables inside the Welcome thread - the FAQs explain the difference between some of the things. The terminology is sometimes confused so it's not surprising that applicants get confused too.
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thank you Theo. I will be examining those FAQs and the welcome thread as soon as I finish this message.
    I fear that I have been doing a letter of application in addition to my personal statement instead of a covering letter. [​IMG]
    Today I am starting a whole new batch of applications so I'll be sure to get it right this time round (fingers crossed)! [​IMG]
    Thanks again.