1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: a lesson on the day of the interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lara mfl 05, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I've just replied on another thread about a similar situation. This seems to be the 'latest' phase for interviews, to prove you knowhow to plan success criteria etc. & also possibly to prevent other people giving advice or you using other people's ideas.
    Remember to set a learning objective, some success criteria, how you'd differentiate,how lesson would connect with other learning.
    Best of luck!

2. hi, I recently went to an interview with a similar set up, and was equally worried about it - and rightly so! In my case, the four applicants were put into pairs and then had to plan and teach the lesson together. I found it quite hard to deal with this situation, as we were being observed while we were planning as well, which I found quite difficult, and ended up not really showing how good my planning usually is. If this is going to happen in your case as well, my advice would be to try and ignore the person observing the planning and really just focus on getting a good lesson together. On the other hand, maybe you'll be able to plan on your own and unobserved, in which case hopefully you'll be able to quickly come up with a good lesson.. I hated this interview and would have much preferred to take my time at home with preparation... I also felt it was a bit unfair, given that applicants might be feeling nervous. Good luck, let us know what happened!

3. NNS

NNS New commenter

How about the resources, do you get anything to work with, ot did they give you a piece of paper and a pen?
    I can't quite imagine teaching a lesson with no visuals, powerpoint, etc. I don't know whether they expect us to just go and teach a lesson with something they have prepared in advance, or do we literally have those 30 minutes to create something...
    The schoo has been very vague about the interview process, they only told me we would find out on the day...
    I also find it a bit unfair really, since I will not be able to show how creative I can be with creating my own resources, which in my subjects are really important.
    Ill start sending off more job apps I guess :/

4. Lara mfl 05

What if the system went down on the day? A good teacher needs to be prepared for all eventualities & it was possible to teach good lessons before all these new aids.
    Remember the main focus of the interview is to observe how you interact with the children, they'll usually assume you can plan & teach good lessons. in the planning you need to demonstrate how you prioritise learning, differentiation etc.
    Don't forget you could put-'normally would use a prepared Smatrboard/Powerpoint at this point' or suggest what you might put in your resource & how & where you'd findthem.
    If you have to work in a pair they'll be watching for colleague relationships so I would ignore previous poster's advice about ignoring your partner & show how you'd divide up planning/finding resources & work with each other's strengths.
    Best of luck!

5. in reply to Lara - I never suggested OP should ignore the planning partner, of course you're right and they would observe how well the applicants can work together etc. I said to try and ignore the observer (in my case there were two), and that was what I found quite hard to do in this interview - the fact that somebody was sitting there listening to our conversations about the lesson made me quite nervous and therefore inhibited my creative side..... I think the applicant I was paired with felt similarly. Anyway, this interview might of course be quite different. In answer to your question, they were very good and quick at providing any resources we wanted, and we were just given a theme/topic and could choose what sort of lesson we wanted to plan - any subject. This could of course be a lot of fun, but I didn't enjoy it because of the interview situation. Mind you, if I ever find myself in that situation again, I think I would be a lot better at it.

6. NNS

NNS New commenter

Yes, but in a real life situation if the system is down, you have some resources of your own
    you can use- I have a stash of worksheets I could use
    instead, as well as lots of props. However, I cannot bring a bag of non-digital resources for an interview, and teaching my subject with no visuals is, well, maybe not impossible, but goes againt all we have been taught during the PGCE.
    Im quite looking forward to the interview itself, and whatever happens it will be a good experience.

Thanks for the help!

7. Lara mfl 05

My point preisel!
    A colleague went for an interview recently. Prepared a detailed powerpoint, but first of all was sent to the wrong classroom, had to move at short notice, didn't have time to set up & then. . . wonder of wonders-' the system was down'! Fortunately he'd prepared a written transcript of the lesson which was hastily photocopied. Didn't get the post.
    Another interview where I was interviewed, another candidate had saved their resources under 2007 & the system didn't recognise it! One school in which I work never recognises my Publisher documents-always come up with 'This is not a Publisher document!'
    So I was really thinking that sometimes one just has to be prepared for the worst, especially when on interview.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, quite scary . . .
    But not impossible!
    Remember that everyone else will be in same situation. To prepare, think what are the basic elements of a successful lesson and how you could ensure that you include them in any lesson. Think Maths, think Literacy. Think differentiation. Making sure all children learn and progress.
    Good luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me in on Saturday 2 April.
    www.tesweekendworkshop19.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!