1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: a job in a middle school after Secondary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NNS, May 15, 2011.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

I am currently struggling to find a job in secondary MFL. I have mainly been looking for places offering possibilities to teach at KS5, but I have figured out that in a current job market, with most of my PGCE colleagues still not having secured anything for next year, I might have to look pretty much everywhere.
    I started considering applying for middle school jobs as well, I was however wondering whether that would not end up being a road with no return? I love teaching and I would definitely not mind teaching younger pupils (I have some experience of teaching in primary schools as well, which I loved), but my ambition was to teach all the way up to KS5. Would it be harder in future to get back to teaching KS4 and KS5 after having only taught KS2 and KS3?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As a Jun/Sec (from the days when such courses were possible)qualified teacher of MFL, I ended up teaching in a Middle School. Now my area is being re-organised & Middles being phased out, my colleagues are finding it difficult to convince High Schools they are up to exam classes, particularly with no knowledge of the differences between different exam boards & no experience of teaching KS4/5.So I would say, it might be difficult to get back to teaching higher ages after a substantial time out & althoug. personally I believe Middle Schools are brilliant, they are considered to be out-of-fashion (in addition to being quite expensive, so more may close in the future.
    But if you were to get a post for a few years, you could say it has given you an insight into previous experience for pupils coming up to High Schools.Also with schools taking pupils through to 19 in the future, I would imagine more & more schools will separate off KS3 from 4 & 5, as these are so much more exam orirntated than KS3.
    We'll have to wait & see how much the E-Bac affects MFL job prospects, so the future may be brghter for MFL.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes it is very hard to go back to secondary. However you may find you don't want to. I taught in middle schools after training as a secondary teacher and loved it. When I moved to an area with a two tier system, I chose primary rather than secondary. Not an easy move as such, but definitely a nicer one for me. I'd not go back to secondary for all the tea in China.

In middle schools you will, likely as not, get the opportunities to teach other subjects as well. If you can wangle a maths or Englishh group each year, then you will be in a good position to move to primary later.

But definitely do think carefully about a post in middle. It isn't a one way street, but you would need to move to secondary fairly quickly if you want to get there long term. In a year you will be a more attractive candidate than an NQT, so as long as you see this as a very temporary move, you can go back to secondary.

But like I say, can't imagine who would want to! :)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have been out for two days, doing individual consultations with Job Applicants, and giving the Job Seminars. And while I was busy elsewhere, you have two very helpful pieces of advice given here!
    Excellent!
    The one thing that I shall add to what they have said is the demographic angle. Currently, secondary schools have falling rolls, whereas there is a crisis trying to get enough new classrooms for Reception in very many parts of the country.
    So redundancies in secondary, and the beginning of a wave of increased numbers in Primary. This should help the primary/middle school teaching market over the next 10 years.
    Good luck

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the
    Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive
    summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really
    appreciate.

The next Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, although Julia is thinking of organising some more.

A new SLT seminar is available now on 22 May <u>www.tesweekendworkshop32.eventbrite.com</u>, and another is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!