1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - a job advert inviting NQTs to apply despite the possibility of a second in dept job being available?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by rainbowsandrain, May 16, 2012.

1. Hi Theo,

It's me again - sorry!
    A job has been advertised at an attractive school and says that a second in dept post is available for a candidate with the right qualities and experience but that applications are welcome from both experienced teachers and NQTs.
    As I will be an NQT in September, is there any point in me applying? It sounds like they would prefer to appoint someone with more experience so they can fill their second in dept post. I'd rather not spend valuable time applying if there is little chance of me getting an interview/getting a job - I've already lost out in two interviews to candidates who were more experienced than me.
    Thanks,
    rainbowsandrain

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

They are not sure what the field will be - it's very late in the year, unless they can get it all settled by 31 May, serving teachers cannot be appointed, and they might not get many serving teachers applying at this late stage in the year anyway.
    Therefore . . . NQTs welcome too!
    Best wishes

3. Thanks for the explanation. So it would be worth applying?

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Always. What have you got to lose?
    I went to one interview and was the only NQT! Everyone else had been teaching 5 years +. I didn't get it but their recommendation got me the next job x

5. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

They might have two posts :)
    I have been in the same situation before. They advertised for one but on the day told me that they actually had two posts.