1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo a few questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ethnic, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Dear Theo

1. Executive Summary - I am in the process of applying for a job and am having trouble compiling an executive summary. Hitherto I have had no problem because the person spec has been relatively easy. The person specification for this particular job has a long list of professional attributes such as:

embrace risk and innovation.
    a drive for improvement.
    deal with complexity and uncertainty.
    listen, reflect and have the capacity to be flexible.
    demonstrate political acumen.
    etc.

There is another long list of of roles and responsibilities such as:

To ensure that data is refined and used to monitor the performance of pupils.
    To ensure that data is refined and used to monitor the performance of pupils.
    To ensure that data and other pupil information is used by staff to effectively to inform and improve teaching and learning (including SEN).
    To carry out self-evaluation and performance management processes in-line with School policy.
    etc.

The list for both goes on and on.

My question is do I compile a ES based on both?

My second question is how do I overcome the fact that my degree wasn't that good (3rd I am ashamed to say?)
    Please note I have been teaching for 19 years, been a successful Head of Department on TLR2c, UPS3 and have taught predominately in selective sate and independent schools?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No paragraphs . . .moan, moan, moan.
    If you are using something that eats them (Google Chrome, or a mobile device of some sort, iPad etc), then try where you want a new paragraph.
    Now for the questions . . .
    Q1 Good gracious - what do they want, a teacher or an Olympic SuperStar? What a ridiculous set of specifications - serve them right if no-one even applied for the job!
    It's clear that you can't do both as even if you tried my E,S, Slimming Technique (prioritise, combine several, summarise), you'd never be able to combine those weird things and get the whole thing down to a page.
    So choose the one that you can answer best.
    Bet you can answer them after 19 years and HoD . . .
    Introduced new A-level subject. Developed new SoW for new syllabus etc.
    GCSE results A*-C in my department rose from 77% to 99% over 5 years
    Regularly organise and lead overseas trips for 30 teenagers
    Effective use of YELLIS and ALIS data with my own groups and with those of colleagues
    Oversee the use of YELLIS and ALIS data by 4 colleagues in my department
    Participate in school performance management system, acting as reviewer for 4 colleagues
    That's my first thoughts - bet you can improve on them! So see which of the 2 sets you can answer most convincingly, and go for those.
    Q2 Nothing you can do, except fail to declare the Class and hope that they don't notice.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

3. Many thanks for answering Theo!