1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo....a few questions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Bobitty, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hi Theo, I’ve had a little look over the forums and picked up some general advice, but there’s just a few things I want to ask you about...
    I’ve just finished my PGCE and have my first Primary job interview on Monday. I have another lined up but the school I’m being interviewed at on Monday feels SO right – it’s an absolutely amazing school and I honestly thought I had no chance getting an interview there, so really really happy!

From the application details I know that the presentation has to be on 3 key areas of my application form.
    So, my questions are...
    Should my portfolio be geared towards the key points in my presentation? Or – because I will be presenting about these – should I put a wider range of things in my portfolio? I was considering having proof ready for the things identified in my presentation and don’t know if the best thing to do would be to put these in my portfolio and just turn to the right page? (But then also have more information in there so I can give the panel more information about myself)
    When making my portfolio – in terms of photographs – can I put photographs in of children? I’m not sure if we’re allowed to show their faces etc!
    In terms of the presentation (I know you can’t give massive advice – as it’s essentially a presentation about me). I’m visiting the school today and was going to pick 3 areas I think are most relevant to them. However, it’s only a 5 minute presentation and I’m not sure whether to try and include some element of interactivity? Or just concentrate on getting my information across in a calm, ordered and confident way?
    Sorry this is a long post and very rambley! Thank you in advance :)

2. Oh no I'm sorry, I'm not sure what happened to the formating!!! It was all numbered for you :(

3. Can possibly help on a couple of issues -
    My very first teaching position (Primary) came from an interview which was just that - not even a portfolio needed so don't assume you'll have to teach a lesson.
    Don't name the children and this usually is ok (local papers often name children but not show their picture or show their picture but not name them individually) . However, I know of a child who was not to be included in pictures shown outside of school under any circumstances - in this case it was to protect this (at risk) child's identity. Can you check with the school if any children can't be included? In future be aware of any children who need protecting and make sure you just don't have them in any pictures you take (or take their picture so they don't feel singled out but delete those).
    Good luck.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Really good answer there from Airmail!
    As for your Q about the Portfolio - why don't you have 2 sections?
    One a general section about how you comply with their criteria for a teacher, then one specifically about the presentation?
    There may be repeated things, that won't matter, but it'll make it easier for you to show the relevant thing in the presentation.
    Remember that a presentation needs an intro, a main part, a conclusion/summary.
    Read the interview cklickables in the Welcome thread for more tips.
    Well done for getting that interview - we look forward to a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent!
    OK, it would have been better if you had got the job, but an exceedingly good experience.
    Good luck for the next one.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.