1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - a few more questions...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sheeee, May 3, 2012.

1. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hello!

I am just filling out an application form and have a few more questions I can't find any answers for by searching the forum...

1. So far I have just been putting training courses (first aid and teamteach) in the CPD section of the form, is this enough? what else counts? Those are the only courses I have done which I have a certificate for...

2. I am currently on supply; when I fill out the 'most recent post' part, what do I put as my 'employing authority' and 'Grade/allowances'?

3. I have been advised by a head for 1 school I am applying to to add an extra reference as my supply reference will be very short, but they will want to check there are no problems. Where do you advise I add the extra reference?

4. A bit of a conundrum... I am dyslexic, and have a psychological report, however I don't think it impacts upon my day to day life enough to count as a disability (in itself a hard decision to make as the guidance suggests it is very subjective!) so therefore I have not been declaring it as a disability on my application forms... however, I don't want to get to interview (fingers crossed!) or even further without letting the school know. I don't feel it negatively impacts upon my ability to do the job, and my university where aware when I did my PGCE, but I still feel like it is something to let the schools know. How do you advise I go about this?

Thank you - I am feeling somewhat frazzled today as no supply so I am hitting the job applications...

2. Sheeee

Sheeee New commenter

Hello!

I am just filling out an application form and have a few more questions I can't find any answers for by searching the forum...

1. So far I have just been putting training courses (first aid and teamteach) in the CPD section of the form, is this enough? what else counts? Those are the only courses I have done which I have a certificate for...

2. I am currently on supply; when I fill out the 'most recent post' part, what do I put as my 'employing authority' and 'Grade/allowances'?

3. I have been advised by a head for 1 school I am applying to to add an extra reference as my supply reference will be very short, but they will want to check there are no problems. Where do you advise I add the extra reference?

4. A bit of a conundrum... I am dyslexic, and have a psychological report, however I don't think it impacts upon my day to day life enough to count as a disability (in itself a hard decision to make as the guidance suggests it is very subjective!) so therefore I have not been declaring it as a disability on my application forms... however, I don't want to get to interview (fingers crossed!) or even further without letting the school know. I don't feel it negatively impacts upon my ability to do the job, and my university where aware when I did my PGCE, but I still feel like it is something to let the schools know. How do you advise I go about this?

Thank you - I am feeling somewhat frazzled today as no supply so I am hitting the job applications...

3. You don't need to have a certificate for it to be CPD. It could be observing other teachers, an internal school based CPD like on INSET day, watching TeachersTV(when it existed).
    Are you employed by LA or agency? Are you paid to scale or daily rate?
    If you were to get the post would you require reasonable adjustments? Similarly would you want it to be taken into consideration in the interview process? It's a difficult one that one, I have a friend who is dyslexic as when she was interviewed she once made spelling mistakes on the board and was rejected because they thought she had poor literacy skills.

4. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

You should really state this in your application. In your letter you could mention the ways that it informs your teaching,ie. by making you more empathetic or attuned to children with different learning styles etc. You can turn it into a positive. Having dealt with disability on a personal level you can be a great resource for students with similar difficulties.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 Don't forget to add either Safeguarding or Child Protection to your list of courses, as well as Inset.
    Q2 Just put N/A
    Q3 I suggest that you put your two "good" references on the form, and then have a short paragraph at the end of your statement/letter along these lines: I have given two referees from school as they can speak with authority about my teaching and the contribution that I make to the school. If you should wish in addition to receive a reference from the Supply Agency which is, offically, my current employer, please contact: Mr T Griff, XYZ Agency, Dunhill Rd, London SW18 8KT
    Q4 Excellent advice to capitalise on it given by the poster above.
    Best wishes