1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, a conditional job offer?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NNS, May 28, 2011.

1. NNS

NNS New commenter

I was thrilled to get a phone call from a school that interviewed me that they offered me a one yar temporary contrac starting from July. They sent it to me, although it is not much of a contract, a sheet of paper saying that it is a conditional offer (conditions being two references- that I know my referees sent prior to the interview, which puzzled me a bit, and the CRB + a medical form). Is that a usual practice? I also need to fill in the job application again...
    Most of my friends got 'normal' unconditional contract straight away, so I as wondering whether more schools deal with things the way mine did.
    The problem is, I need to move, and rent a flat within the next few weeks, so things are a bit complicated if I have to wait for the CRB check to get a proper contract... But at least I have a job I am saying to myself, in a very, very competitive subject (60 applications for one post).
    Also, I wanted to thank you for the advice on this forum. For months I was not getting interviews, I then redid my letter and application according to the guidelines you had here, and I prepared for my interview using the tips and questions from this forum, and yay, after sending 8 applications I got invited for 6 interviews, and got the job at the second try!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You're a star, a twinkly star!
    [​IMG]
    Super, super, super!

Don't worry about the conditions! They are in fact quite normal - i sent out all my offers with wording something like: subject to satisfactory references, satisfactory medical questionnaire and statutory checks. Just a standard letter. Even if already received the references - it was a standard thing.
    And don't worry about the contract - the law says that they have to provide that within 2 months of you starting work . . . 2 months after they mean. So October half term would be the latest - ages after you've started.
    The letter has contractual force - that means that they and you are bound by it, once you've written back to accept.
    All sorted!
    I'm glad that you have found the advice useful - I am very concerned that there are so many teachers unable to get jobs, so any help that we at the TES can provide, it's our pleasure!
    Best wishes for September - and for flat hunting!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck, Lad!
    Or lass.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!