1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dear Theo..A am an unusual NQT !

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by hummi7883, Mar 27, 2012.

1. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Dear Theo
    Not really unusual but was just concerned that I have all qualifications from India,got a masters as well,but degree classification as NARIC told that is comparable to british ordinary degree!!(whatever that means!!)
    I am in my second placement and training to teach Physics.All the physicist in my Uni have got the job already!!
    Applied for 3 jobs but did not hear from them yet.
    I am a bit concerned that my qualifications will be a hindarance to me securing an intereview.I am a very good teacher and I just want a chance to show it.My personal statement has been checked by my tutor and a few senior teachers in my school.What else can I make clear in my personal statement which would shortlist me
    I just read about the execuative summary on your forums and I am going to add that in my PS now.
    Please help!
    Regards,Hummi

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Point 1 - it's not clear from your post - you will be going to get a PGCE with QTS, won't you?
    Point 2 - Ordinary degree is an old-fashioned qualification, doesn't exist anymore I don't think. It means that it is a bit less than a Honours Degree. But a MSc will make up for that, so don't worry.
    Point 3 - are you applying for independent schools too? Yes, you can do NQT induction there.
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    Point 4 - there may be a slight hesitation because your level of English may suggest that you could have communication problems. In your post above, there are a couple of slightly unusual tenses, a definite instead of an indefinite article, several spelling mistakes (which might just be typos).
    Point 5 - 3 jobs is hardly any! many people on here have applied for 50, 80, 100 before getting a post. You need to be applying for more.
    Point 6 - don't worry as the main recruitment season hasn't yet opened. After Easter normally, then again in June.
    Point 7 - you may need expert help. E-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk and ask about (a) the application review service and (b) the Job seminars. You'll have to pay for this, but if it gets you that elusive job . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. hummi7883

hummi7883 New commenter

Thank you so much for that honest reply.Very useful indeed.
    My post was a bit rushed so sorry for all those errors.
    I am going to contact Julia,I don't mind paying for a service as I really need a job by September.
    You also answered what I thought I would ask but I did not!!(Lol!)
    You are a star!!
    Thank you.
    Regards,
    Hummi