1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, 1st time poster be gentle...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by CK301208, Mar 31, 2011.

1. I've been using these forums for a while now and have found the help fantastic and never the need to post as I've found the answer to my questions without asking.
    However, I've been out of work for over a year now, and its getting disheartening. I am getting a few interviews and there's one question that I don't seem to be giving the right answer to and its safeguarding.
    I've researched, considered my role in the grand scheme of safeguarding children. But I'm clearly missing the key element they are after.
    How do I answer the question on safeguarding?
    And I am going to be cheeky and ask another question. I'm actually applying for a school that I previously left. My contract was coming to an end (1yr), I was pregnant and the Head picked an NQT because she was cheaper.
    As soon as I left the school went into special measures which was no big surprise and the only members of staff left who know me are the Reception Teacher and the TAs. The fact it has been completely overhauled is the only reason i'm applying for there as I'm embracing it as a brand new job.
    But I need something in my accompanying information that makes them see that I know the changes and challenges that the school have faced and I'm on board with the new regime-particularly as the old one was so broken. How can I word this?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Started to answer this, then suddenly saw Belle's new thread, so got distracted!
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Sorry about that!
    Hullo there, first-timer.
    "Out of work" but kept pretty busy by a toddler, I bet!
    Q1 - what to answer re: safeguarding. Well here I am not going to be helpful, I'm afraid, as I don't like giving people answers to interview questions. Sorry! You can try searching Safeguarding here, but do be careful that you don't repaet parrot-fashion something that ten other candidates will repeat parrot-fashion too.
    Q2 - re-applying. How about something along these lines? Make it true, of course.
    Having worked in X School until the birth of my first/second/tenth child, I have been impressed to see how it has changed beyond recognition over the last 12/18/24 months. Public opinion of the school has turned around completely, and I look forward to becoming part of the team which is now offering so much to the children.
    Don't copy that exactly, but perhaps something along those lines would be appropriate for you.
    Good luck!
    P.S. there's no need for me to be gentle - you didn't write anything that made me come out as the grumpy old man that I am . . .

I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews. The next Job Application seminar where you can meet me is on Saturday 2 April.
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!