1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TES Adminstrator

Discussion in 'Governors' started by Hair Shirt, May 14, 2012.

1. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

On another thread on this Forum you have removed posts which mentioned and linked to a High Court judgement on a Judicial Review brought by an individual governor against his governing body. This was apparently because the judgement identified the name of the school and the name of some individual governors, as you would expect it to as they were parties to the action. Apparently this was done because it breached the part of the TES Code of Conduct that prohibits anyone posting:
    "References to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means"
    Please can you you clarify the scope of this part of your Code? I find it extraordinary that you you have applied it to a matter of public record, and matters don't get much more public record than a published High Court judgement. Its also a judgement that is highly relevant to governors.
    If you are going to apply the Code literally please can you confirm whether I am allowed to post these comments:
    "David Cameron, the Prime Minister, went to school at Eton College."
    "Sir Michael Wilshaw is the head of Ofsted"
    "Sir Micahel Wilsahw used to be the headteacher of Mossbourne Academy"
    I note that TES publishes references to "to individual schools, colleges or agencies [and] their staff ...by name" in TES Magazine every week!
    Thank you.

2. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

On another thread on this Forum you have removed posts which mentioned and linked to a High Court judgement on a Judicial Review brought by an individual governor against his governing body. This was apparently because the judgement identified the name of the school and the name of some individual governors, as you would expect it to as they were parties to the action. Apparently this was done because it breached the part of the TES Code of Conduct that prohibits anyone posting:
    "References to individual schools, colleges or agencies - or their staff - whether by name, or identifiable by a pseudonym or any other means"
    Please can you you clarify the scope of this part of your Code? I find it extraordinary that you you have applied it to a matter of public record, and matters don't get much more public record than a published High Court judgement. Its also a judgement that is highly relevant to governors.
    If you are going to apply the Code literally please can you confirm whether I am allowed to post these comments:
    "David Cameron, the Prime Minister, went to school at Eton College."
    "Sir Michael Wilshaw is the head of Ofsted"
    "Sir Micahel Wilsahw used to be the headteacher of Mossbourne Academy"
    I note that TES publishes references to "to individual schools, colleges or agencies [and] their staff ...by name" in TES Magazine every week!
    Thank you.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

You make a good point but it is "judgment".

4. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

Is that how English courts spell it? Thank you for the correction.

More generally my copy of Chambers and Shorter OED allow both spellings.

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Senior commenter

Yes, "judgment" is the correct spelling in the legal world.
    I do hope that you get an answer to your original question.

6. On reflecting about the way the case in point was highlighted, one cannot assess that it was this
    actual case being referred to by the poster. Putting that aside one can also deduce that the poster intimated that retribution might be heaped on the governor in question. On that basis it was wholly right for the mods to take down the offending posts and protect that governor apart from the fact that too many posts were getting abusive.

7. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

Is there any chance of a reply from TES Administrator?

8. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Not in my experience ...

9. Hair Shirt

Hair Shirt New commenter

I've asked twice on the forum and PM'd TES_Bev all without result. Can someone at TES please reply to this thread? It's a fair and resonable question, to what extent does the Code of Conduct prohibition on namimg individuals apply to publicly available information? It's been applied literally on another post on this forum and users are entitled to ask for some clarification. It would surely be absurd to say that we couldn't mention the name of the Prime Minister or the Secretary of State for Education or HMCI.