1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TDA

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by LOReilly2011, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I was wondering realistically what are the chances of getting onto a PGCE to teach Chemistry with a third class degree in Chemistry. Some sites have talked about compensating for it with relevant experience, if this is the case, how much classroom exprience would you consider necessary to compensate for the low degree classification? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

2. Hi,
    I was wondering realistically what are the chances of getting onto a PGCE to teach Chemistry with a third class degree in Chemistry. Some sites have talked about compensating for it with relevant experience, if this is the case, how much classroom exprience would you consider necessary to compensate for the low degree classification? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lisa

3. Most PGCEs will want a 2:2 or above in order to be admitted on the course although I have heard of 'exceptional candidates' being accepted with less. These tend to be people with considerable experience in education eg, from being a TA or science technician or perhaps a lot of industrial experience. I have to say we tend to only shortlist people with a 2:2 or above when we are looking to fill vacancies. I do wonder if you might have more chance of success if you were prepared to do something like physics enhancement.

4. If you feel that teaching is the right career for you, don't let your doubts about your grade deter you from applying. Course providers will look for the best candidates who will make good teachers. Chemistry is a priority subject at secondary level and enthusiasm for and knowledge of the subject and how it is taught in schools will strengthen any application.
    Please speak to the course providers you are considering applying to regarding your degree and ask their advice regarding the length of school experience they would expect.
    Visit the TDA website to search for training providers by name, and use the reporting systems to check each provider's performance profile. This will give you access to information such as trainees' entry qualifications for the previous academic year. You will be able to see from this information the providers who have accepted candidates with a third in the past:
    www.tda.gov.uk/training-provider/itt/data-surveys/performance-profiles
    You can arrange classroom experience by contacting schools in your local area to see if you can shadow a teacher or observe classes. You could also volunteer to help out with after-school clubs. You can find contact details for local schools by visiting:
    www.schoolswebdirectory.co.uk
    Good luck with your application.