1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TDA - Relevance of degree

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by llm1234, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Hello
    I would just like to ask you for some advice regarding my degree and whether it is relevant enough to be accepted into a pgce in biology.
    I have a 2.1 degree in therapeutic radiography where modules included anatomy, physiology,pathology, clininal onclogy,skeletal anatomy,radiotherapy science, cell biology, ethical issues,applied information technology,research design and statistics as well as a detailed dissertation on melanoma.
    I have 3 years experience working in this discipline and have decided that I would like to undertake a pgce in biology. I have experience working with children in work, in youth centres and through various summer schemes although I am just worried about the relevance of my degree to undertake this career change.
    Any advice given would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks.

2. Your issue would be the complete lack of higher level understanding of the plant side of biology. That said biologists tend to be drawn from a wide range of disciplines these days as hardly anyone has a straight biology degree. You don't say what your A-levels are, remember that you won't just teach biology, you'll teach general science to years 7-9 at least and possibly to KS4.

3. Your therapeutic radiotherapy degree certainly appears to be highly related to biology due to the course content you have listed. However the final decision on whether your degree is considered suitable or not will be made by the course provider(s) you apply to.
    When assessing your subject knowledge, course providers will take into account your qualifications as well as any work experience in a related field that you may have. As you have stated that you have worked in this discipline for three years, we would say that your application will be likely to be viewed positively by course providers offering biology.
    Please contact the course provider(s) you are considering applying to for more information about their subject knowledge expectations. You can find full contact information on the graduate teacher training registry website:
    www.gttr.ac.uk
    We wish you the very best in your application, and in your future teaching career.