1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TDA, MFL bursary please help!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Janna5, Aug 10, 2011.

1. I'm an EEA student and I have been offered a place on a shortage subject (MFL Secondary)
    I am not eligible for Student finances grants because I have not been living in the UK for the 3 years prior to my PGCE only a year and 1/2 (and 4 years before that but I had to leave the UK for 2 years to care for a family member who was ill.)
    I could apply for a student loan as a EEA student but I do not wish to do so.
    Will I receive the bursary?

2. I'm an EEA student and I have been offered a place on a shortage subject (MFL Secondary)
    I am not eligible for Student finances grants because I have not been living in the UK for the 3 years prior to my PGCE only a year and 1/2 (and 4 years before that but I had to leave the UK for 2 years to care for a family member who was ill.)
    I could apply for a student loan as a EEA student but I do not wish to do so.
    Will I receive the bursary?

3. No, as one of the eligibility criteria for the receipt of a teacher training bursary is a trainee's eligibility for student support. The full list of bursary eligibility criteria can be found in the TDA's training bursary funding manual for academic year 2011/12 (see Section 6, Eligibility criterion 5). Potential trainees are advised to speak to their ITT provider.
    Best wishes

Stephen Hillier, TDA