1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear TDA -- Degrees and Experience needed for Teaching Abroad?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by ParlezVous, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi everyone, thank you in advance for any help!
    I am currently a college student in the US-- Indiana to be exact! I am pursuing my BS in two majors: French and Elementary Education. By the end of my undergraduate degree, I will be certified to teach K-6 in the US, but not yet certified to teach the french language (that is something I am trying to work out with my courses ATM). I am looking to getting TESOL certification some time soon as well. My overall career goals include teaching experiences abroad as well as in the US-- while this may change, my current goal is to end up staying in the US and raising a family there instead of abroad.
    I absolutely plan to pursue a masters degree somewhere within the educational field-- elementary education, ESL, TEFL, and administrative degrees have all crossed my mind. However, and maybe some of you have insight on this, I have been told many times to teach immediately after my undergrad for a few years before going back for a masters. At this point, that would be the plan.

Since I am interested in teaching abroad (Ideally a french speaking country), I was curious as to what qualifications would be necessary to be truly considered for a position. What further education/degrees should I pursue to keep me on a good path for this goal? Would I be qualified enough to go right after my undergrad? Is there other certification I should look into as well? Would becoming a teacher's assitant and/or subsititute abroad open up doors in the future to actually be a classroom teacher?
    Again, this is all very premature, but I am definitely the kind of person who enjoys having a plan and goals to achieve, so I appreciate any advice you are willing to provide! Merci beaucoup!

2. Hi everyone, thank you in advance for any help!
    I am currently a college student in the US-- Indiana to be exact! I am pursuing my BS in two majors: French and Elementary Education. By the end of my undergraduate degree, I will be certified to teach K-6 in the US, but not yet certified to teach the french language (that is something I am trying to work out with my courses ATM). I am looking to getting TESOL certification some time soon as well. My overall career goals include teaching experiences abroad as well as in the US-- while this may change, my current goal is to end up staying in the US and raising a family there instead of abroad.
    I absolutely plan to pursue a masters degree somewhere within the educational field-- elementary education, ESL, TEFL, and administrative degrees have all crossed my mind. However, and maybe some of you have insight on this, I have been told many times to teach immediately after my undergrad for a few years before going back for a masters. At this point, that would be the plan.

Since I am interested in teaching abroad (Ideally a french speaking country), I was curious as to what qualifications would be necessary to be truly considered for a position. What further education/degrees should I pursue to keep me on a good path for this goal? Would I be qualified enough to go right after my undergrad? Is there other certification I should look into as well? Would becoming a teacher's assitant and/or subsititute abroad open up doors in the future to actually be a classroom teacher?
    Again, this is all very premature, but I am definitely the kind of person who enjoys having a plan and goals to achieve, so I appreciate any advice you are willing to provide! Merci beaucoup!