1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Tafkam, Theo says you'll know this one.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Ladykaza, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Hi Tafkam,

Theo has recommended I ask you this one.

I know that in the state sector ( academies and free schools aside) teachers are not allowed to accept a pay cut to secure a post but I wondered how this worked with leadership scale.

I am looking at head teacher posts in very small schools where some have salary ranges L6-L10, or L8 - L12.

Does this mean that if you are a Deputy already on say L12 that you cannot apply for these posts as it would mean taking a pay cut.

Just hoping to reduce the competition a bit!

Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Ladykaza

Hi Tafkam,

Theo has recommended I ask you this one.

I know that in the state sector ( academies and free schools aside) teachers are not allowed to accept a pay cut to secure a post but I wondered how this worked with leadership scale.

I am looking at head teacher posts in very small schools where some have salary ranges L6-L10, or L8 - L12.

Does this mean that if you are a Deputy already on say L12 that you cannot apply for these posts as it would mean taking a pay cut.

Just hoping to reduce the competition a bit!

Thanks for any help you can give.

3. I am no-where near as clever on these things as Tafkam but I am sure this is not a problem and have appointed thus several times. Leadership spine is not the same as the MPS/UPS as it reflects the job, not the person - if you see what I mean. So you can't offer to come to a mainscale post for MPS4 if you are UPS2, but you can change a point on the leadership scale if you go (for example) from large school Dep Head to small school Head (and quite a few do.)
    Remember that when they offer a 7 point Leadership scale (which they should for Headship, not 5 as for Deputies) they may only appoint on the first 4 (to leave three years' worth of PM) so L6-L12 means they will appoint on L6 (probably) but possibly up to L9 if they are enlightened, and you are both brilliant and taking a pay cut to accept the job.

Tafkam will correct all my errors now....[​IMG]

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not at all. You were spot on!

5. Ladykaza

Thank you both, very helpful